Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bit of Boring Eight: Murder

NOTE: Isadora from generation nine, this is the third BoB featuring her, etc. etc.


   “Wait, it is Isadora Vespa you wish me to give a job for?” The burly bar owner asked, his facing twisting into a look of displeasure.
   “Yes, sir.” Leo replied, crossing his fingers behind his back.
   “I’m very good at flirting with people and getting them to spend an outrageous amount of money on unneeded pensions.” She smiled, leaning forwards so her chest was on display.
   “You owe this bar money.”
   “I don’t have money.” She replied, blatantly. “I do have other things, though.” She winked at him, placing her hands on her hips, slowly running them south, in a V shape. “I’m sure there are special tasks I could do for you.”
   “I have a wife who just had twins boys. Matteo and Fabrizio. I do not need your skills. You pay your tab, I might give you a job.”
   “But I need it, badly, sir! Please, I might be deported.”
   “Debt, no job. No debt, maybe job. Now get out.”
   “I-” Isadora began protesting but, Leo, realizing that with her temper and disdain for rejection, would probably end up been banned from the bar and have him be fired.
   “Come on.” He took her arm and began dragging her to the outdoors.
   “What am I going to do?” She exclaimed, throwing herself onto the metal patio furniture. I don’t have any other options and with no references, it isn’t like anyone else will hire me.”
   “You don’t know that. Do you have a resume? We can go around the city and drop it off at every place in town, I’m sure someone’s bound to want a highly attractive, charismatic, strong will female.”
   “Thanks Leo...” She paused, resting her head on his shoulder. “I’m going to repay the bar, okay?”
   “Okay.” He said, hesitant to believe her.
   “Then he’ll hire me.”
   “Dora, don’t get your hopes up. He’s been known to jerk people around. Let’s hope someone else will hire you.”
   “Yeah.” She sighed, standing up. “Let’s get started; I’ll go home, change into a nice pantsuit, print out my resume, then we can go.” She forced a smile onto her face, hoping that her tone conveyed more excitement then she actually felt.

___________________

   “Has anyone called yet?”
   “No.” Isadora replied, staring blankly at her television's screen. She’d resigned herself to the fact that, considering it had been two days since she dropper off her resume, she was probably going to be deported and have to shamefully return home to Colorado, lying to her mother about where her whereabouts for the past year and a few months were. “This is a good soap opera. Very dramatic.”
   “It’s in French.” He lifted an eyebrow, looking up from the newspaper at two daytime television actresses, who could pass for models, and were currently engaged in a topless therapy session. “Why aren’t they wearing clothes?”
   “It is art, yet you’re concerned with their bodies? Leo, that’s rather-”
   “Just a question.” He glanced back down at the help needed section. “Someone’s hiring a governess.”
   “I dislike dealing with young children; they’re rather pesky.”
   “You had younger siblings, though, didn’t you care for them?”
   “That’s precisely why I dislike the idea of being someone’s governess.”
   “You cannot afford to be choosey.”
   “Surely there is something half decent. Every grocer’s, quaint shop, library, boutique, restaurant, and office has seemed to reject me, so ignore those ads. Perhaps, there’s something more suited to my skills.”
   “What are your skills? What did you do at your old job?”
   “That doesn’t concern you.” She teased, knowing that if she was willing to be more open it would be appreciated; she was grateful to Leo for offering to help, yet a lingering feeling persisted, telling her to stay hidden, for if she didn’t, would he not lose interest in her?
   "How did you write your resume?"
   "Ah, you're rather questioning, has anyone every informed you of the fact?"
   "You have, a multitude of times." He mumbled, under his breath, as she sighed, rolling her eyes.
   "I embellish."
   "You lie?"
   "Doll, you're so negative, so pessimistic. It ages you."
   "How fit are you? Do you have decent stamina?"
   "I understand that you came to my door and spoke with me immediately after I slept with the landlord's son, however I fail to see how my stamina in bed is relevant to someone who claims to be uninterested in my sex life. If you believe that I'm going to go into deep detail with you right now, when I am on the midst of being deported, you're a goddamn fool."
   "That insult is still insulting."
   "Hence the name, doll."
   "You're offending deities, do you-" She stared at him, her eyes wide, dull. She was not bothering to pay attention to his lecture, so he promptly changed subjects. "The police are hiring."
   "My track record with them is lovely. Isn't like they interrupted my morning beverage at the bar."
   "Well... What about private detective?"
   "A PI?" She raised an eyebrow, attempting to refrain from laughing. "Why do I want to be a PI?"
   "It pays well."
   "You have my interest. Continue."
   "Alina Ermenegilda wants someone to investigate a murder."
   "Murder?" he couldn't read her face, decipher the expression. Perhaps she was deeply intrigued or applaud? "Are you qualified?"
   "Please." She snorted, chuckling softly. "Qualified? Is anyone really qualified for anything?"
   "People go through extensive training, earn doctoral degrees; they're qualified."
   "Leo." SHe groaned, rolling her eyes. "You're no fun... Now let's go invesitage a murder."
   "Wait, wh-?!" His eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets, as she pranced away, towards her front door, giddy.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Isadora, investigating a murder sounds way more exciting than being a governess. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine having to be a governess; I agree, murder investigation sounds like it's be a more interesting career.

      Delete