Monday, July 15, 2013

3.1: Shattered Trust and a Mended Heart

       I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. Silence filled the empty room as the cool April night over took the world. Jason and I had been dating for seven months, in secret. My parents knew of my love for music and I would always make up things I had to go to. Music Club twice a week to practice my guitar and vocals, a performance at a park maybe, and rehearsal with the Glee club that our school didn't even have. Tutoring the other day. I only went to Music Club on Mondays and Wednesday because I needed practice. I couldn't do it at home. It was too odd; everything else, however was code for seeing Jason. We'd meet at the the docks or shipping storage units. Never my home. Never his. I knew lying wasn't the way to build trust, but after the night in September and my fight with mom i didn't really care if they trusted me or not. My relationship was tense with her, and I didn't have a much better one with dad. At least I had Jason. Now that school was out, though, it was getting harder to see him in private.
     "Gabrielle!" I heard Antoinette's high pitched shrill voice pierce the silence. "Mom and I are driving to the airport. We'll be back day after next." Antoinette had an interview at a private English school. Nothing in the States was prestigious enough; suited her tastes. With every school from Boston to New Hampshire to  Denver to LA begging her attendance (and my parent's money) she needed something actually worthy of her attendance, according to her smug britches. Smugworth Prep mumble-jumble-whatever was the best private academy available to her intelligence level. Having made things easier, as well. "G'bye!"
      The garage door sounded and I heard the car open. It was six o'clock. Dad would still be at work; he always was. I grabbed my cell phone  and dialed Jason's number. 
      "Hey." I smiled, hearing his voice.
      "Hey, sooo, um, I was wondering…" I asked, growing nervous.
      "What?"
      "I have the house to myself…do you wanna....you know." Why couldn't I just ask him? 
      "Wait, are you-"
      "Oh my gaw-NO! Not that I wouldn't with you, wait, I mean I'm not like-not a slut-I mean just to talk. I-none of that…I wanted to see you. See, I'm a virgin and you where my first kiss and I should shut up." I ended up babbling like an idiot. I just wanted to see him. To talk to him. Not, like do it. The other line was silent. "Jason?"
      "You where my first kiss, too." He whispered. "I'll come over." 
      "Great. I live," I rambled off my address. 
     A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. I ran downstairs and answered the d
     "Hey." I smiled at him. He greeted me with a kiss. I stood in my sneakers on my tippy toes. He was taller than I was.
      "You look great." I glanced down at my outfit and blushed. I was wearing a tank top and some shorts I usually reserved for my  gym class clothing or PJs. 
      "Thanks. Do you want something to drink or something?"
      "Sure." He followed me to the kitchen. 
      I glanced in the fridge. Milk, OJ, and cherry Kool-Aid. "Let's see, milk, orange juice, or Kool-Aid. Or, I could make coffee. Or-" I rambled and blushed some more.
      "Madame G." He smiled, saying his little nickname for me. "Don't worry about me."
       "I know, I know. Wait. I know." An idea sparked. I walked to my parent's wine rack that was concealed in a cabinet. "1932 antique French-words-I-can't-pronounce." I poured us each a glass and handed him his. 
       "I've never drank alcohol before." He admitted. 
       "Neither have I." Suddenly feeling less daring. I sat on one of the counters that had a China cabinet above it. Jason leaned on the one next to me. "So…" We both took a deep breath and took a sip. The liquid seeped down my throat. I didn't care much for the last, but it made me feel more adult so I drank. I grabbed the bottle as Jason took my torso in his arms. I leaned my head back, letting him kiss my neck as I held the bottle up and poured the wine down my throat. I tried setting the bottle down and moving my legs so they where also on top of the cabinet. "Sugar!" I cussed, as my head hit the China cabinet, causing a plate to crash and the wine to spill on Jason's shirt. "Sorry!" I gushed. 
      "It's fine." 
      "Here." I maneuvered his shirt off, leaving his chest bare. I wanted him so badly; to rip the rest of his clothing off and proceed to turn our make out session into something else, with my body pressed against the wall. I threw the shirt aside and hopped off the counter. "Come on," I gestured for him to follow me upstairs. I lead him to my bedroom.
      "G." He said, as I tried to pull him onto my bed. "I think you're drunk." 
      "I am not!"
      "Not know, then. Later."
      "You are the only guy ever to turn down sex." I sighed.
      "Silly." He laughed, taking me in an embrace as we began kissing each other in the center of the room.
      "Oh!" I gasped.  I guess we're doing it French… I felt stupid beyond compare. You are half French. And he's a damn good kisser. I began returning the kisses, letting my body be pressed against his abs.
    "Gabrielle?!?!" I heard a voice scream. Fudge. Fudge, fudge, fudge. My father was home from work early. "And-?"
     "Um, hi dad." I said, pulling away from Jason. "This is, uh, Jason." 
     "Hello, sir." He stuck out his hand. Dad didn't shake it.
     "Gabrielle, would you care o explain why there's a half naked man in your bedroom."
     "Um, see, he spilled  wiiiiii- Kool-Aid on his shirt. So he took it off." Telling him about the wine would only make it worse.
      "I saw the wine. Don't lie." He turned to my boyfriend. "You. What did you do with my daughter."
      "Uh, we kissed…we didn't do it. I mean I wouldn't uh-
      "Are you implying that you're to good for my daughter?"
      "No-not that I'm better than her- well, we uh um-"
      "Are you calling her a slut?!" Smoke was practically coming out of his ears.
      "No, she isn't easy at all-er- not that she's hard. I wouldn't kn-she isn't stuck up or a biiii-biscuit. Gabrielle-"
      "Whether you where going to say bitch or bimbo is beyond me. It doesn't matter, though. Go."
      "Can I get my shirt, first?"
      "Get the HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE."
      "Bye, G." I watched
him go away. My heart shattered.
      "What was THAT?!" I screamed.
      "Gabrielle, I love you. I don't want you to be hurt....he's just-"
      "No."
      "Gabrielle, please. I saw the wine and his shirt and I thought the worst."
      "Huh. So I guess you and mom don't trust me."
     "You're a hormonal teenager and there was a good chance that you where, for lack of a better word, ivre comme peut l'ĂȘtre." Drunk as can be. "The fact that we left the wine unlocked shows that we trust you. You don't deserve it."
      "Get out!"
      "We'll talk again when you mother comes home. Never see that boy again. Ever. He sighed. "And Gabrielle." I didn't answer. "The wedding is in four days." He said, as he shut the door. That made me snap. I began crying. 
     I tore my room apart, trashing everything accept my Junior Prom photo and crown. I was queen. He was king. He sold his crown, to a bunch of wannabes to help cover the bills. Damn. I lost him. I stood in the middle of my room, tears flowing. This was a wreck. I was a wreck. I grabbed my guitar and smashed it against the window, sending glass flying. A piece of glass hit my arm. I stood there, bleeding. I wasn't a sweet girl girly anymore.
     The days past. I ended up taking over the new basement expansion and decorated it myself. I bought an electric guitar and had everything match in a dark violet-gray-black color scale. My only step left was me. I needed a new look. I wanted a tattoo, but knowing the slutty rep they had at my school, I decided to wait until I was legal. I didn't need to do anything that would hurt my career. 
      I took a pair of scissors and a match to my old clothing and bought my new clothing, in e same color scheme as my room. I glanced at myself in the mirror. My parents would hate it. I love it. Jason....I hadn't seen, or heard from him in four days. Four days without him was like hell.
     
     I stood awkwardly in my dress. My parents wedding had a yellow-blue theme, but considering that it was private I decided to wear a skimpy black thing. Calling it a dress wasn't accurate, .Considering the amount of fabric used. Antoinette had been accepted into the English school and was leaving in June. My parents had decided to take a two month vacation in Paris, with us, well, her. I was invited, but I couldn't stand a moment longer than I needed with them. It was the last effort to have a family trip before she left for England for four years, only coming home when she had to. I doubted that it'd be often.
    "I do." My mom said, as Antoinette started bawling.

    "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the-" I burst into tears, I couldn't take it. This was the future I could have had with Jason the future my dad ruined.
     "Are you alright?" Mom asked.
     "NO! I'm not! I'm fudging not." I ran to the subway station, lost. I rode to the nearest station I knew. I pressed the call button. 
     "Hello?"
     "Hey. I panted. Can I come up?" 
     "G?"
     "It's a long story....."
     "Gabrielle." He only said my full name when it was important. "Come on up." I waited on the elevator, then rode to the hall. I knocked on the door, waiting.
      "Jason, I  sorry." I awkwardly stood at his doorway. I stared at my feet in my bridesmaid dress. 
      "What happened?" He took my arm and pulled me inside.
      "You must think I'm an idiot." I wiped away my tears and sat at his dining isn't table. His apartment was small and sparsely furnished, but it felt home-y. 
     "Gabrielle." He kissed my cheek. "I'd never think that."
     "Damn you for being so sweet...." I launched into my story; everything that happened. "Hence the purple-y hair and black clothing." I said, once I finished. "And Jason, please don't tell me that I should go home and work it out. Please."
      "I won't. G, do you have a plan?" 
      "I do-well kinda-I mean....you live by yourself, I though you could give me some advice...I turn seventeen soon.....I might pass for eighteen. And I know you probably think that I'm stupid- I have a great life and a huge house b-bu-t I just- I need you."
      "Do you want to stay here?" 
      "What?"
      "Until you get back on your feet...or as long as you want."
      "Really?" I sniffled, leaning over and hugging him.
      "I'll help, with the bills and all. I can sing on street corners for tips and-"
      "Don't worry about it."
      "I'm going to help. I don't need to be treated specially." 
      "Okay." He sighed.
     I started living with Jason, cleaning and cooking with what little we had. Jason would do odd jobs, but mostly he'd work at the graveyard. People had to die. It was a stable job. I'd sing on street corners, occasionally even getting enough tips to pay for a special treat, like ice cream from the grocery store. When I sang, I always got more tips. I hoped one day, someone would notice me. They'd like the girl with the guitar and give her their card. She sign on and start performing small gigs, rising to fame. But it never worked that way. I'd sing, occasionally earning compliments, occasionally getting remarks from guys about how I was in bed. I'd try and flirt back, batting my eyelashes sticking out my chest. I was getting pretty good at appeal, without actually letting anyone in. Jason would insist on sleeping on the floor, I'd insist we trade off. Bed, floor, bed, floor. Soon, it had been a month.
     "G, what would you like for your birthday?" 
     "You." I whispered. "You know that." I easily resisted the men on the streets, who wanted my body. Jason, on the other hand, didn't seem to. It drove me crazy. It made me want him even more.
     "What else?"
     "Well…" I sighed, then I twirled into a fit of coughs. 
     "Are you alright?"
     "Yeah." Lately, I felt like a bus had hit me. I was achy and had a fever and was coughing like crazy. It was just a common cold, nothing that wouldn't be gone soon; I didn't tell Jason, we couldn't afford him to freak out and drag me to a doctor.
     "You get the bed tonight."
     "It's your day." 
     "You could be sick."
     "I'm a doctor's daughter, I know every symptom for every common disease out there."  
     "G."
     "J."
     "G."
     "Jay-ay-ay." I sang song.
    "Do you feel we'll enough to do something?"
    "Course. What's in mind?""
    "Not much." He shrugged, winking. 
    "Come on, tell me."
    "You've been wearing your dress or PJs," PJs. That was an exaggeration. I had one outfit and undergarments. I'd wear one of Jason's shirts when I did laundry, to keep myself modest. My parents where on their trip, as was Antoinette; I could go home, but I knew if I did I'd want to stay. It was selfish, I though, but I liked this life. I like simple with Jason. 
    "Mmhm." I nodded.
    "I thought maybe you'd like some more clothing."
    "So we're trying to cover me up?" I laughed. "You know I was thinking something with a little less clothing."
     
----

     "Gabrielle, is that the man?"
     "Now the one you're thinking of."
     "Did you really-?"
     "Have to practically beg him? Yes. Jason was kinda traditional. Marriage first. I know, odd for a seventeen year old." 
     "That's good." My mom nodded; she obviously thought that I kept it out of my pants when it came to him. I laughed. "What."
     "You'll see."

----

     I love, loved my new makeover. It was cutesy and dark at the same time. I still was debating about cutting my hair; it'd be easier to care for, but I had a sort of attachment. My hair, even with purple highlights, was the only remainder of my old life. A good life, prior to last September.
     "Jason...." I sighed. I was laying on the bed, cuddling with him. He was running his hand through my hair. "School starts in one week...." The days flew by; before I knew it, it was August. 
     "You should go."
     "But-"
     "Gabrielle. You need a high school diploma. I can get through my life doing odd jobs at minimum wage; do you know what minimum wage means? The employer wants to pay you less, but they legally can't. You can have something better."
     "Better? What's better than this?" I asked, kissing his nose.
     "Lots of things. G, you need an education."
     "But I could work singing. Pay the bills. I'm trying to get gigs. I know they'll come. And there's open mic night at the karaoke club. I'm doing that. And-"
     "G, you-" I began moving so I was on top of him. We began kissing. I felt Jason's hand slip down my shirt, slipping lower and lower. Then, he pulled off my shirt and I wrestled with his. I felt my bra become unhooked when- "We can't." Jason stopped trying to undress me. Dammit. 
     "But-" I protested, slipping my shirt back on. 
     "I promise, we will. I just-" He glanced away. "G...I don't want...it would be unfair, to bring...we can't afford a mistake and I wouldn't be able to provide. You need a better home..."
     "Jason." I gasped. This wasn't about marriage, or even me for that matter. He was afraid that I would become pregnant. "...I don't want to have kids now, either. I just...we can be safe. Besides, you care so much- see? You'd be a great dad. I just...I don't know...I guess the intimacy thing is kinda my way of saying I love you. I feel so guarded around everyone, but I can be free with you. It feels like we can share everything."
      "I love you, Madame G." He whispered.
      "I-I love you, too."
      "I want your life to be good. A teenager who's pregnant and living in the sugary part of town, with a former homeless guy doesn't help. Especially with your career."
      "I'm not pregnant. So...we don't have to worry. I have yet to ever do something that would cause me to be pregnant."
      "Okay." He sighed. "I'm going to shower. I have a shift starting at six." I glanced at the clock. It was four thirty-seven.
       I heard the water turn on. I heard it pour out, in cool gallons of icey cold. He did that for me. Shower cold so I'd get a semi-warm one. It was one of the many ways he cared. Wait. Jason's worried that I'll get pregnant, but- an idea struck me. I quickly removed my new shreds of modesty onto the floor and walked into the bathroom, once that water shut off. Jason's back was to me, as he dried himself off.
      "Bonjour." I whispered.
      "Madame G?" He spun around, then his eyes got wide. My body was pretty well proportioned. "G-you-" his jaw, along with his towel, dropped. "What about-"
      "Don't  worry." I bent down onto my knees. I couldn't get pregnant, and this counted.
      "Really?" He glanced down at me, awkwardly. 

----

     "GABRIELLE?!" She looked like she was about to have a heart attack.
     "You said you wanted to know everything. This is part of it."
     "B-b-b-but."
     "Should I stop? Look, I know it's though listening. I was a teenager and I was stupid."
     "Good thing your father isn't around." She sighed.

----
     I stood up, off the tile. Jason was shocked. Clearly.
    "So...." I stood there, my arms to the side, my body bare for him. He began kissing me and helped raise me on top of the washing machine. "Here." I whispered, handing him something. I waited a few seconds, then we finished what we started. All the things we did; I'd never look at the washing machine the same way again. 
      "Guess neither of us are....anymore."
       "Defiantly." I nodded. "That was..."
      "For a first time..." There was a bit of kissing, then we both dressed ourselves and Jason hurried off to work. I suppose what I wanted was done. Now that I didn't have to beg...it felt weird. I could only imagine what Jason felt. 

----

     "Gabrielle…was that-"
     "First and only with him. Don't worry, there isn't more," suddenly I felt uncomfortable saying the word. I had left out details for her sake, but now I was realizing it was for mine as well. "More for awhile."
      Jason....he was so special to me....it was a shame it'd all end so quickly....

2 comments:

  1. Jason is such a nice guy to let her live with him. He's awesome. Poor Gabrielle, her family life just seems so angry all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason really is sweet. =) Gabrielle defiantly doesn't have a good relationship with her family.

      Thanks fro commenting!

      Delete