Thursday, March 27, 2014

7.1 Part Two: The House Tour

  "Rosie, hey. Hello."
  "Hazel." She replied, greeting me. It was Friday afternoon and, after a short phone call with my lovely potentially, but probably, roommate Rosie Kinnely was standing on my front walkway. "Is this your house? You have a pond with a bridge?! And everything, I mean why do you need a roommate?"
   "Because I bought an amazing, large home and didn't save enough money for bills."
   "Oh." She started turning an adorable crimson.
   "Don't worry. I mean, no need to be embarrassed."  No need? Did that sound odd? Did anyone even speak that way anymore? I wasn't sure, but I could tell if Rosie gave me a strange look, I'd be the one blushing the color of her hair... only more red and less cute orange.
  "I'm not. Wait, how could you tell? I totally was. I wasn't lying just- hey, do you... I mean, I talk lots. Maybe too much, so it's kinda awkward"
   "Oh, I do too!" I exclaimed, wondering if my exclamation just demonstrated the truth in her statement. "And you turn an adorabbbbb- red color when you seem embarrassed."
    "You noticed? Cause I've been dating someone and they... well, they're unobservant and haven't."She glanced down at her feet, clearly wishing she hadn't just given me that piece of information.
    "So, are they going to help you move in?"
    "Huh?"
    "I jumped the gun... I mean, like if you move in. Will they help? The guy you're dating?" I was trying to find out a very valuable fact that would decide if I had a chance or not with her.
    "Um... I, well... we're just in a rocky point. Every couple has them."
    "They do." I agreed. "I just broke up with my girlfriend."
    "Wait you're-?"
    "Is that a problem?" I jeered, a little too rudely.
    "No! Sorry, I just. Me- let's begin the tour? Okay? Sorry."
    "No problem. It's fine, Rosie." I smiled at her, hoping she understood. "So this is the front. The pool and my garden are towards the back of my property." I lead her towards the inside, wiping my feet off on the doormat. "Here's the foyer living rooms pace. I gestured around to the TV, CD rack, plants, and couches. "Of course, the couch is faux. I'm vegetarian."
    "That's cool. I tried once when I was like twelve. Totally failed; I really love tuna salad sandwiches. You won't care if I eat meat in front of you, will you?"
    "Of course not! I understand. I don't want to convert everyone to vegetarianism, I just don't meat meant because of the unethical treatment of animals. There is always pescatarian, though. fish and sea food, but no other meat."
    "Nah. Speaking of food, is that the kitchen?"
    "Yes." I nodded. I gave her a basic tour, showing her the dining room, kitchen with stairs to the basement that I'd convert to a wine room, and the small bedroom upstairs that was furnished in pink and gold.
   Finally, we ended up in my room. The master bedroom. The white wood floors and pale blue walls with my adorable tree statues. "This is my room." I said; I was clearly running for President Obvious. Rosie looked around, as her eyes settled on the plants growing on the ground.
    "You're growing plants in the floor. How?"
    "I have special flooring. I really love gardening." I smiled, wanting to tell her more. I wanted to tell her about my childhood an nature being a friend, about Marco... about me finding a real friend and then him leaving. You don't share things like that with someone you just met, though... you don't over share or you risk scaring them away, otherwise you'll never get a chance to share with them.
  "Would you like to see the balcony?"
  "Sure!" Her voice was bright and peppy, like a beam of sunshine peaking through a cloud.
   "Right this way." I gestured to the door, holding it open for her. She stepped onto the as she stopped in awe.
   "It's beautiful. The sunset. The pink is like a fine bottle of wine. The first glass of wine I ever drank was this incredibly cheap, rose wine. "  She started laughing at the thought of her first alcoholic beverage. "It was at Prom. Prom!"
   "How old are you?" I asked, then, trying to not sound rude, quickly followed the question with a statement. "I'm just trying to figure out if we could have gone to the same school."
    "Twenty-three and I was home schooled. My parents were way overprotective."
    "Oh... at least they cared." I mumbled, then louder I said, "I'm twenty-one."
    "Home life rough?"
    "Not as bad as some, I mean... it was messy." I shrugged, leaning on the balcony. "What do you think of the house?"
    "I'd like to move in, if that's alright."
    "Perfect. I figured that I'd cover five-eights of the expenses and we split the bills evenly."
    "Works for me."
    "Rosie... You're amazing." In one swift movement I turned towards her, holding a bouquet of yellow roses.
   "No... no. Hazel, look, I'll move in, but... I have to go to my house... I'm sorry..." She flung open the door to the inside and ran away. I heard her thundering down the stairs as the front door slammed shut. And so I stood on the balcony, confused as ever, I had given Rosie flowers and somehow scared her off... living with her must be interesting.


NOTE: I know, I know... this chapter isn't not very good and short, but somehow took me like two weeks to write. I'm suffering from the thing called writer's block and stress because life decided to get busy for me... I'm sorry. Lucky for you, I do get a one week holiday starting in one week and a few days, so I'm planning on writing some then and the writing actually be good. (P.S. This blog's one year anniversary was 11 days ago. )

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to the anniversary of your story. :)
    Seems Hazel doesn't really understand that Rosie has a boyfriend, LOL. Just because the relationship isn't the greatest, it doesn't mean she should hit on Rosie.
    I would be confused if someone who was going to be my roommate gave me flowers. It would make me wonder if they expected something of me other than just being their roommate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; this legacy's been my longest running story and I was really excited when I celebrated one year. :)

      Hazel definitely doesn't understand that Rosie's in a relationship (or, by her logic, thinks she can make Rosie happier or be a shoulder to cry on if they breakup). She shouldn't hit on someone who's in a relationship, but she also doesn't understand that.

      If I was Rosie, I'd be confused too, since flowers (and Hazel's way of presenting herself) isn't the most platonic.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete