Tuesday, May 20, 2014

8.2 Part Two: The Daily Grind

   Loop the beach, survey the area, go back to the chair, watch over the water, every hour blow the whistle and have people come out of the ocean so you can check the water, tell them they can go back in, then repeat. I had nabbed the lifeguard career and now my life was rather repetitive. I went to work, did the routine they hammered into my brain, then went to the gym to workout, went to the library to do some research about mermaids and Isla Paridiso, went home, ate, watched TV, went to sleep or sailed around a bit, woke up, got ready, and went to work.
  "Looks good." I mumbled to myself, after walking around the beach for the second time in a row. It was Saturday afternoon; one of the most popular times for people to visit the beach. That also meant that I had more rescues to do, on average, and therefore more money was earned. I walked up to my lookout chair and took a seat, glad I got to have the umbrella above shade me from the perilously hot rays of sunlight.
   Some claimed that doing the same thing over and over was pointless; what  was the excitement of it? What was the point of life if you never did anything special? I disagreed with them. This job I instantly began after acing the interview and tests started as a way to get an income, but ended up turning into something I legitimately enjoyed doing. I liked seeing toddlers smash sandcastles and kids go boating for the first time and woman suntanning and men trying to show off what they worked so hard to earn by flexing.
    The beach was serene today; nobody had needed my assistance yet. Everyone was relaxing, soaking in the summer sun and reading a novel or swimming or messing around with sand creations. While I did like the fact that no harm had come to anyone, I was anxious for something to do. Someone to talk to maybe. I liked it when the children came up to me and thought I was a superhero, like the police officers and firefighters. Appaloosa Plains had one public pool that had no lifeguards and a beach that was lifeguard free; I didn't know that they could be idolized.
   "Everyone, out of the water!" I shouted, as I blew my whistle. It was time for the hourly inspection once again. children groaned, as their parents led them over to the concession stand, promising them ice cream if they didn't cause a scene about the lifeguard who was only doing his job.
   "Hel-whu-up-" I heard a panicked voice shout. I glanced at the ocean, seeing a dark haired head bobbing above, then below, then above the water. Someone needed help! Someone was drowning!
   I tossed off my lifeguard shirt, revealing my red swim trunks. I blew my whistle again, as I began running towards the victim.
  "Out of the way!" I exclaimed, as people began crowding around the edge of the water, their eyes absorbing the scene that was unfolding around them.
  "Ble-ove-g-" The lady gurgled, as she spat water out of her mouth.
  "Excuse me, sir!" I shouted, diving into the water with my red lifeguard floater.
   "Blqut-wuick-!" The gargle stopped, as I lifted her arms onto the floater.
   "Here. I grabbed onto the float and began pulling her back to shore. "Can you talk? can you hold on?"
   "Yes and yes." She said, smiling at me.
    "Good." I helped her onto the beach, as the crowd cleared. "Do I need to call the ambulance?"
    "I think I'm good, thank you. I can't believe you responded so quickly!"
    "It's my job, ma'am. Just trying to protect the citizens."
    "Thank you so much. You're a hero, what could I do to thank you?"
   "Oh, I'm not a hero, thank you, though, but I couldn't accept your offer. I'm glad you're alright and that's enough for me."
    "Surely I can give you something." She said, leaning forwards and placing her hand on my shoulder. "You saved my life."
     "Ma'am, not to be rude, but if you are alright, I need to check the beach once more."
     "Of course you do. Look, my husband works for La Costa Verde, maybe a free night there?"
     "Well..." I said, trying to not sound promiscuous. "There's something else."
     "What?"
     "Scuba lessons there."
     "Scuba lessons? Why, my husband's on the board of activities and guest recreations! Perfect, I'll get you the sessions free."
      "You don't have to do free, ten percent off, maybe?"
      "Oh, nonsense. Free or nothing."
      "Thank you so much."
   "You're welcome, even though I should be thanking you again. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll go far."
   I couldn't believe it; I had went to work, saved someone who just happened to be the right person, and now I was going to get my lessons. This was wonderful; I had a job I loved and soon would have the ability to find the mermaid I thought I might love.

NOTE: Thanks for reading! Also, the next chapter of Tracked is out. You can read it here.

4 comments:

  1. Free huh? Nice Things are working for Harbor..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they are. =) Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Yay! It pays to know the right people, that lady was so nice. :) One more step closer to his coveted mermaid! o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about who you know, especially in Harbor's world. :) she was very grateful, which caused her generosity to come about, leading Harbor one step closer! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete