Thursday, May 9, 2013

1.13: Forever and Always

    "Gorgeous." Harry smiled at me.
    "It's a nice view." I agreed.
    "I meant you. But the view's nice, too." I smiled radiantly at him. He was gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous; especially for a man of forty-six. Not that I wouldn't like him if he wasn't; I would have loved him him anyways. Always.
   "Harry!" I exclaimed, as he gave me one dozen  red roses.
    "Do you like them?" He asked, nervously.
    "I love them."  It was an old habit of ours; almost like a tradition. On our first date, as an official couple, he gave me red roses. He was nervous as can be, as if I'd hate the most expensive flowers money can buy, he asked me if I liked them. Still a jittery mess with a 'Will he cheat on me with a slut?' phobia I said that I loved them. And I did. Roses are my favorite flower. Whenever he surprises me with flowers, he always asks me if I like them. And I always say I love them. It's tradition. And I always make sure to arm my boys with flowers to give the lucky gal whenever they go on a date.
    "Harry," I stroked his cheek. "How...how would you feel about marriage?" Marriage. A tender subject between us. Both of us had been previously married rather young and it didn't work well for either of us. Death and divorce. We'd discussed it before, only once in the five years we've been dating. He knew that I had commitment issues. I knew that he didn't want to rush me and scare me off.
   "I love you. Forever and always. I don't need a ring to prove it."
    "Harry!" I hugged. My mushy gushy romantic side loved him. All of me loved him.
    "Whenever you're ready, tell me."
    "I was thinking...." I bent down and pulled a ring box from my purse. "I'm ready. Harry...I love you. I don't know how to describe what I feel. We met all eight years ago...back at the diner. You were so nice. I messed up a lot in life. I've loved and lost. But you thought me how to love again. I can't imagine my life without you. I never want to have to. Will you marry me?"



  "Alyce." He gasped, clearly shocked that I was the one bent down on one knee. "Alyce...I love you. I love you and I never will leave you."
  "Is that an I do?" I asked, hopefully.
   "It is." He smiled. "It is."
   "I"m getting married!" I exclaimed, hugging him. "We're getting married."
    "Yes," Harry smiled at me. "We are."
    "When will we tell the kids?" I asked him.
    "Kids!" Harry beamed. "I'm going to be a step-father...finally." He said excitedly.
    "I had an idea...we could go to the soccer field and have a picnic. Tell them then."
    "Do you think they'll be okay with it?"
    "Well, Jamie already loves you as a coach. I bet he'll love you even more as a father. And Tiff...I think she's going to be okay." I guiltily remember reading her diary I mistook as the school project she'd asked review. And Alex...he didn't seem opinionated. "And Alex would love it."
    "Really?"
    "Really. Don't worry. The kids have met and love you. It isn't like you're a stranger to them."
    "I'm glad." He smiled.
    "What about living arrangements?"
    "You could move into my house. It has four bedrooms and-"
    "Sold."
    "Are you sure?"
    "My cabin....I hate it. Live in a beautiful mansion or my old run down cabin that barely has enough room for everyone?" 
     "I see your point. We can move in after the wedding. Speaking of, when?"
     "Soon....it's May...I don't want to wait to long."
    "June? Is that enough time?"
    "I think so." I kissed him. "I already have a dress." I said thinking about my old mother's dress I'd inherited.
   I was going to be married soon. Mrs. Alyce....Janes or Laurel? Of course, the children's last names would remain Janes, but I can change mine. I like my last name...and I don't want to ask Harry  to change his. Mrs. Alyce Laurel. Mrs. Alyce Janes. I need to stop worrying. I reminded myself. I stopped thinking and kissed him. Everything would be perfect. Perfection was a mere month away. Marriage. Something I never dreamed of wanting again. But I did. I wanted to be with Harry. I was ready. Ready for love. Ready for commitment.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :D I'm working on the wedding chapter, I'm trying to figure out how to keep it light&fun, but still have the "Alyce" POV.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I like this guy! But I did also like Johnny at first... oh what the heck, I will be happy for Alyce. She does enough worrying for the both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She defiantly does. Harry is defiantly very kind and sweet towards Alyce. :) I'm glad you like him.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete