Wednesday, January 1, 2014

6.3: Aren't You Glad I'm Eighteen

   "Is that good? Hm...too much. Maybe- no. Lipstick? Or eyeliner? Both? Is light pink nice... my dress is trimmed in it. Bolder?" I talked to myself as I stared wide eyed into the mirror. Booker was going to be here any minute. I agreed that I was way too young for him, but that didn't mean I couldn't knock his socks off. It wasn't about trying to get him to like me anymore, it was about making him so jealous he wished he did.
    "Kayleigh!" My father called from outside the door.
    "Hold on!" I rolled my eyes, trying not to giggle. Daddy had raised two teenager daughters, me and Connie, and hadn't figured out that we take forever in the bathroom.
     "Are you sure? Because your... Booker is here."
     "Really, uh 'kay it'll be a moment. Tell him I'll be out in a bit." I tried playing it cool, acting as if the butterflies in my stomach didn't exist.Our relationship was confusing; there was no denying it. Even I wasn't sure where we stood. Friends? That was probably the safest bet. There was something there... a spark or something that I couldn't put my finger on. I took a deep breath, took one more peek in the mirror, then flung open the bathroom door. He was standing there, nonchalant in his button down shirt. He did clean up nicely.
      "Hello, Kayleigh."
      "Hey, Booker." We stood face to face, the tension so thick you would need a steak knife to slice through it. "Thanks for coming." I finally said.
      "No problem. I got you a gift card, since I didn't want to be rude and wasn't sure what to bring..."
      "Aw! thank you, that's so sweet." Dang. My play it cool act was up. The butterflies were back.
      "Hon," My mum called out. "We're about to light the candles on the cake." Booker and I walked to the dining room. I stood in front of the cake, as the songs filled the air. What did I want to wish for? What did I want to wish for? The song was nearing the end; it was about time for me to take a deep breath and extinguish the miniature dancing flames. I wish for... true love. The thought was there and gone before I had a chance to wish for something else. I didn't say who... I wanted my true love to unveil himself and appear. I didn't know who he would be, but I felt ready for him to appear.
     "What did you wish for?" My dad asked.
     "Good grades and honors!" I laughed, lying through my teeth. He wouldn't understand the true love biz. 
     "Should have wished for a scholarship." Booker chuckled. "Which universities did you apply to?"
     "Um... let's see, a couple in New York near Connie, you know some ones throughout Washington."
     "Oh, sweetie! Did you see the mail? You got a letter from the colleges."
     "Mom," I took a deep breath.  I didn't want to go to college. I didn't realize it until the second Booker asked me, but I didn't want to go far away for four years. I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to run a daycare center. Little kids needed me to help them out. I knew I could make a difference in their lives and I didn't need a piece of paper telling me that what I was aware of.  "I'm not going."
     "Huh?" My dad asked. "You wanted to get an education degree, right?"
     "No... I want to run a daycare. I don't care if I have a piece of paper. I love little kids and a degree won't change that. Besides, tons of people work at a daycare without college."
     "But...  you do so well."
     "I should  be going." Booker said. He could feel that this was no longer a guest situation, even if he was practically family. My parents had bonded with him a bit, dad and mom went on a fishing trip with him a couple of times.
      "No, no! You can stay." I blurted out. "Look, mom. Dad. I won't go to uni, because it isn't me. Besides, neither of you went... so there. I'm going to do what I love and I hope you support me."
      "I...we'll support you. I just want better things for you." My dad said. My mother nodded in support.

      "I really should be going, work and all." Booker said, turning to go. My parents moved away to the dishes; they began cleaning up the mess we made with the decor and cake crumbs.
    "Booker, wait."
    "What?"  He turned around.
    "Thank you!" I leaned forwards and hugged him. The look of pure shock appeared on his face, but he slowly returned the hug.
  "Wow, kiddo."He whispered in my ear. "That was something, telling your parents that."
  "Yeah... I just can't stand them thinking that I don't want to go to uni because of anyone other than myself. I hate the idea of more school. I like little kids and I think more education would only suck th elife from me and make me relate to them less."
   "Kayleigh, you're creative and imaginative and amazing." He took a deep breath. "Like nobody I've ever met."
   "Booker, I like you. I'm sorry, but I can't help it. I don't want to make you do anything... I just want you to know. You saved my life. That's a big- no gigantic deal for me. It's scary for me... saying that I feel... you know. I like you and I'm sorry, but it won't change because you don't."
   "You're a baby compared to me, age wise. You know that."
   "So? We have this bond. Don't deny it. I see you ever night and my heart pumps up and I feel horrible if I don't get a chance to hear your voice or meet with you. I love talking to you and you talk to me and we both listen." I spilled my inner thoughts to him. I liked him. I wasn't going to lie anymore, I wasn't trying to make him jealous or anything. I wanted him to like me back, or at least know how I felt. I knew, assumed, he didn't feel the same way about me. If he didn't I would know for sure. I thought I knew the answer, but I needed confirmation. This is what it was.
   "You're special and amazing and make my life better, Kayleigh. But we couldn't have this thing."
   "I know."
   "You know?"
   "Well... obviously there's issues. Do you like me?" The question was simple, the answer should be as well.
   "Romantically? I'm not sure. I was never good with feelings."
   "Stop! Just tell me yes or no."
   "Maybe."
   "Maybe? Don't lie to me. Please." He said and answer, but he refused to give any details. His face was etched with the years of his experience.
   "Let me think." He whispered as he took a step to the door.
   "Aren't you glad I'm eighteen?" He was out the door when his words floated back to me, slowly. He was driving away and the simple sentence was haunting me further and further and further.
   "More than you will ever know." Though he was glad I was legal, he refused to return my affection. This was complicated, it was impossible to deny... it would end clean, I hoped.

NOTE: This is... complicated, I know. I wasn't exactly sure how it ended up with Kayleigh in love with Booker and it may be... I know, I know. I wrote myself into a mess.  (To be fair, though the Sims WERE flirting like there was no tomorrow... I just voiced what was going on.) 

2 comments:

  1. The story line is fine, you don't really choose who you love, it just happens. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. =) I do agree that you love who you love, but I was nervous about it, since Kayleigh's (barely) eighteen and Booker's so much older than her.

      Delete