Wednesday, January 22, 2014

6.7: The Campaign Fundraiser

   "Are you ready?" I heard him walk into the downstairs bathroom.
   "Yeah..." I looked into the mirror one more time. I was aiming for a more natural, but glamorous look for Booker's campaign fundraiser. It was at the art and history museum, which apparently showed that he had class and sophistication. I remember glancing at the catering menu and sadly only fancy little cheeses on a delicate assortment of crackers, wine, and some sort of caviar was being served. I hated fancy people food. It was all tiny morsels that you could eat a hundred of and still not feel full, but one alone cost more than the diamond earrings you splurged on.
   "Is that what you're wearing?" I could hear the disappointment, the shame that I hadn't picked out something more suitable. 
   "Yes." I bluntly stated, defensively. My cute summer dress was appropriate for the hot August temperatures, though maybe a little casual for Booker's high profile campaign fundraiser. I couldn't believe he was going with me. We weren't going as a date, I was just a supporter of his. My father was the head of the fire department and that alone was enough to have everyone think I was a bigwig in the political game. "It's the only thing that fits."
   "You should have told me sweetie." He smiled, taking my hand. "I know some great boutique's owned by a few supporters of mine." 
   "Booker, don't you like my dress?" I blushed. 
   "It looks fine." I could tell he was lieing to me. He thought it was something that you wore to the beach, not his fundraiser. His stupid fundraiser was classy. "We could invest in a personal trainer." 
   "Excuse me?!" Who did he think he was?
    "Well, you said it was the only thing that fits and if you're gaining weight, I've noticed how you tend to be eating more and everything. Maybe a therapist?"
    "What the hell?" I shouted at him. "I gain like fifteen pounds and suddenly I need a freaking therapist? Who the hell do you think you are?" 
     "No, no! I mean with me home less and your history of depression... you sleep less and eat more and tend to wear more sweats. I thought maybe-" 
     "Never mind." I laughed. I was having one of my mood swings. I knew I was gaining weight and I had a perfectly good reason, as of yesterday. I needed the perfect situation to tell Booker. 
     "I'm sorry."
     "Don't worry about it." I shrugged. I was going to let him off the hook. I'd tell him my reason and soon he would be apologizing even more. I smiled and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Come on." I slipped past him. "Let's go to the fundraiser. Wouldn't want to be late." I chuckled. The car drive wasn't long, that was the bonus of living in a small town.
    "Kayleigh, here's an important person." I heard Booker whisper in my ear as we slipped out of the car and handed the keys to the valet person.
    "What should I say?"
    "Follow my lead." 
    "Mmkay." 
    "Hello, Mrs. Tahan."
    "Ah, Mr. Singleton. I was wondering when you would appear for your own happening." She her laugh was a quiet, dainty one. She had a British accent
    "Is your husband here?" 
    "I'm afraid. He had a purely ridiculous meeting to attend, though he insists on showing up late, despite the embarrassment of the matter."
    "No shame being late." I inputted. 
    "Oh, darling tell that to Hatim. He's a ridiculously punctual man, you see."
    "Ah." I glanced at Booker.
    "Don't believe we've been properly introduced, have we?" Mrs. Tahan was proper, but I could tell she was also a very fun and sweet lady. Hmm.... I wonder what her husband did. Maybe her and I could form a lonely politician's wives club.
    "Mrs. Tahan, Kayliegh. Kayleigh, Mrs. Tahan." Booker introduced us.
    "Very good." She shook my hand. "Now, Mr. Singleton why do you call this bloke Kayleigh and me Mrs. Tahan?"
     "Well, uh... you see." 
     "No, I don't. I do understand you, though. You two are an item, aren't you?"
     "Kayliegh and I? Oh, no." Booker replied too quickly. "See Kayleigh owns a daycare.You have a son, don't you?" 
      "Son and daughter." She smiled. "Marco's just turned six weeks old and my maternity leave is ending soon."
       "Kayliegh's a wonderful sitter." 
       "I may have to investigate. See, the maid could drop him off and pick him up." 
       "That's great Mrs.-"
       "Lana, please. If you're watching my son, I suppose we ought to become better acquainted." 
       "Lana." I smiled. I hadn't made many friends, perhaps Lana could become the first.  
       "Now, don't think that I've forgotten already. You two both single?" 
       "No." I replied. Booker elbowed me. "I mean, you know how things are, they're complicated between me and him." 
       "I suppose that's all I'll get, isn't it?" 
       "Pretty much." I replied. 
       "Well, congratulations anyways, even if the relationship is a bit complicated." She smiled knowingly and gestured slightly with her head to my stomach. "Good luck." And with a wink, she was off to greet her husband. Did you know? How could she? 
       "That was weird." Booker commented. "But I think she likes you." 
       The rest of the night was a complete blur. I was introduced to everyone as a close friend, practically like a sister. I owned a daycare, blah, blah, blah. I was arm candy to show off to everyone. Other than Lana and Hatim, everybody else seemed really old and really boring. No wonder Booker seemed upset with what I was wearing, compared to the modesty going on in the room, I looked like I was wearing nothing. Floor length gown, gloves up to the elbows, and collars that almost resembled turtlenecks.  These people must be stuck back in some weird 1950's era. 
      "Booker." I finally said, once the night was over. I had found the right spot to tell him. "I have an announcement."
      "What is it, sweetie?" He smiled at me sweetly. Had had had seven glasses of wine and I had drunk none. 
      "I'm pregnant." I whispered.
      "Impossible..." He staggered backwards. We used protection... you're on the pill." 
      "Booker I'm more than a week pregnant." 
      "How much?" 
      "Seventeen weeks. A little more than four months."
      "The first time..." 
      "I found out yesterday. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. Look, I was thinking of... the A word."
      "Do it." 
       "You sure?"
       "I hate kids, Kayleigh."
       "BASTARD!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Oops. I quickly covered my mouth. 
       "Excuse me?"
       "I'm pregnant and you tell me that you hate kids? I may not want a family, but you hate kids?"
       "Wait...shush, shush." 
       "What?!" 
       "Look," He whispered in my ear. "There's people around. We need to be quiet. I don't like kids. That's true. We can't have an abortion, though."
       "You just said we could. I could."
        "But, if people find out then my career's done. I'm a baby killer."
        "The baby doesn't have a brain yet! Look, I haven't opened a daycare yet because there's a person growing in my vagina."
       "And it will stay there until you push it out in five months." 
       "I want to be married before I have a family I want to be financially ready and emotionally." 
       "Too bad."
       "Isn't it my choice?" 
       "Normally, yes. Right now? No."
       "What if I break up with you and go to the media with the story?"
       "I will ruin your career and your father's. Connie, your sister? She'll lose her fortune." 
      "Please." I felt tears coming to my eyes. "At least let me tell someone."
      "Tell nobody. You parents, your friends, your sister." Who was this monster I was with? Where was caring Booker? He wasn't happy for me, he cared more about being mayor then me being emotionally ready to raise a child?
     "Okay." I nodded, taking a deep breath. I was going to raise a child. A child Booker would hate. "Booker, will you marry me? I want the child to have a semi-normal life."
     "Hell no. I love you, but... Kayleigh. Nothing matters more than being mayor."
     "You're drunk!"
     "Just... don't so anything." He smiled. "I may hate the thing in my womb, but you're going to raise it. I'll  be the workaholic father it never sees and everything will be good. Hell, if you want say you don't know who the father is."
      "But it's you! I'm leaving." I turned around and ran, eyes following me. Booker followed quickly. This couldn't be happening to me. Booker couldn't be this awful of a man. I had no money, so I couldn't do anything on my own. I was stuck with this. I would love it no matter what, more than I loved Booker, but it didn't change the fact that I wasn't ready. I was going to be a single mother, even if the father lived with me. My child who know who its dad was, but wouldn't know him personally. My life was falling apart.


NOTE: I freaking hate Booker in this. He's a... stupid Sim who has the dislikes kids trait and has commitment issues.Yes, you can rant about how shocked you are and how much you hate Booker because he's several words I would use but don't want to push this post's rating to R.

2 comments:

  1. Booker's traits will definitely cause lots of drama for Kayleigh, that's for sure. o.O LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They defiantly will. When I moved the legacy to Appaloosa Plains I decided that I would try and use townies as the heir's significant other, instead of ones I created to add a little spontaneity... unfortunately, Booker doesn't have very good traits. :/

      Delete