Wednesday, November 5, 2014

9.5: A Roommate Named Luna



   Today was the first day of my freshman year; I just needed to stay calm. Delilah, her friend Hannah, and Xavier, who had come to help me set up my dorm room, had just left. I was officially on my own, a real college student. I was nervous about attending college in North Dakota; it was so different from the warm and sunny LA or the Virgin Islands, the only places I'd ever lived, but so far all the campus staff seemed friendly enough. The weather was a refreshing change, if bought a few long sleeve shirts I could actually wear because it wasn't seventy-five degrees in October.
   "I wonder who my roommate is..." I mumbled. When I'd unpacked, he hadn't been in there, but her half, or three-quarters, if I wanted to be more accurate, was already decked out in pink frills. She had to be a girly girl.
   I stepped back inside my residence hall, as I glanced around at all the other freshman who were in a tizzy, trying to get set up. Nineteen years of age wasn't an awkward age to be a freshman in college, considering the amount of students who decided to take a year off, then apply. My parents didn't attend college, however my dad always stressed the importance of enriching your education, because looks fade, but intelligence lasts a lifetime. Something felt right about attending, it was like I was honoring his memory. I opened my dorm's door cautiously, I didn't want to appear over enthusiastic, in case my roommate was an upperclassman who disliked chipper, naive freshman.



   "Oh…" I glanced through the rack of my roommate's clothes, to see a spray tanned, skinny, ginger girl in a bright pink dress that didn't exactly compliment her hair, glaring at me. "From all the blues I thought you'd be a guy."
   "Um, I'm not. Haha, so," we were off to an awkward start. "You know, I don't think North Dakota State University does coed dorms."
   "Whatever. I'm not even suppose to be in a dorm."
   "I'm sorry?"
   "Look, blondie, is that natural? Never mind, blondes never are. Look, let's get two thing straight. One: don't touch my stuff. Okay? My daddy paid lots of money for it and I dot want you screwing with it. The pathetic mini fridge came with the room, so store your cheapo grocery store crud in there if you want, I'm getting deluxe, organic, low carb, gluten free, sugar free food imported. Second thing: don't try to be my friend. You're a freshman, obvs,  and I'm a sophomore,  so yeah. I'm suppose to be in my sorority, but my daddy found out I only showed up to, like, a fourth of my classes and most of them I barely passed with a C, cause I'm pretty and nerds will do my papers for me, anyways, he says Greek life is too distracting and I can't fail, so he won't pay my dues until Thanksgiving break, if I've shown up to two-thirds of my classes and have a B in all of them, at least."
   "Okay. That shouldn't be a problem." I faked a smile, even though every whiting about her, from her glare, to her words, to her tone was insulting. "I'm Phoebe Janes, nineteen, freshman. Majoring in interior design with a minor in business administration."
   "Great, Penelope-"
   "Phoebe."
   "Whateves. What did I say? Don't answer that, it's, what the word? Starts with an R..."
   "Rhetorical?"
   "I said not to answer, gosh! Don't try to be my friend."
   "I'm not, I just figured since we'd be sharing a room for two semesters we should get I know each other a bit, you know find out if there's any quirks that really annoy the other."
   "Talking to me annoys me. Look, I may not be an official sorority girl, I'm still attending the parties, though, but trust me. Soon I will be, I won't have to share a room with you, and we can forget the other.  I've got my friends, you'll probably find some freshman geeks who will tolerate you."
   "Okay…" I sighed. Why did I get stuck with the mega, what's the word, catty bitch girl?
  "My name's Luna, by the way. Luna Smithstoner, my daddy owns Smithstoner Industries, the biggest producer of farm machinery in the southwestern part of North Dakota. You've probably heard of him."
   "Actually I haven't. I'm from California, LA to be exact, so Dakota business mongrels and farming aren't exactly things I'm up to date on."
   "Wait, you're an LA bitch? What the hell are you doing here?"
   "Uh, I try to not act bitchy and NDSU sent me a letter saying if I attended here I get a scholarship."
   "Oh… well, whateves."
   "Do you know where the student union is? Apparently all the clubs are set up-"
   "Skip it. Unless you wanna be an over eager, mega geek. If you're a geek, that'll ruin my rep."
   "I thought it'd be a nice way to get I know people."
   "Get to know people with the same major. Not me. Defiantly not me. Stop trying to friend me."
   "What's your major. I'm not trying to bef-"
   "I don't know. Don't care. In case you missed it, I didn't go to my classes, some nerd did, I partied. The not major I'm into is an M.R.S. In case you're stupid, that's a missus degree, I'm going to find some hot, rich, frat guy. Who gives a crap about my major?"
   "Not you." I muttered under my breath.
   "Huh?"
   "I think I'm going to try to find the student union."



   "But I said-" Before she could finished I smiled, waved bye, and exited. Something about her compelled me to turn and run the opposite direction; maybe it was her rudeness, maybe it was the overpowering floral scent, maybe her   blaring pink dress, either way she told me not to go to the club fair, so I was going to go.


______________

   "Wow, so all I have to do I form a study group is leave a note tacked onto the freshman bulletin board that states my course, the teacher, and my student email?"



   "Yep." I hadn't been interested in glee club, the RPG club, Greek life, non-competitive athletics, or any of the other clubs for that matter, however the study group booth did attract my attention. "You said you had Professor Torchwood for Employee Conduct and Management, right? Find a study group, that class has lots of group work and if you have an official study group you don't get randomly assigned one"
   "Thanks, I think I'll go do that now."
   "Glad I could help."
   I walked over to the bulletin board an left a note that fit all the requirements for both my Employee Conduct class and Algebra course; I'd need liked math as a child, the repetition bored me and there was no creativity in it, maybe a study group would help with that.


______________

   I'd been nervous about my first day, but overall everything had wonderful, other than my roommate situation. After signing up for clubs, I found out where the buildings my classes were located at were, I didn't want to be late tomorrow, then I stopped by the small continence store located half a mile from campus, I'd found a pay by the hour bike rental service and rented myself one, and stocked up on Ramen and peanut butter, the food of poor college students. I was lucky, right now my scholarship covered the majority of my expensive a, but eventuality if need a job. Then, I'd returned to my dorm to find it empty; Luna must be out with her friends.
   "What to do now..." I ponders aloud. It was only ten-thirty, slightly early for bed, maybe I should call home?
   Anderson started preschool today; it was a big step for him and while I was sad I missed it, I knew that it's be alright. I could come home on breaks and birthday weekends, he'd see me frequently enough. Plus, Delilah's friends who also had toddlers offered to arrange weekly play dates, so he wouldn't be a loner at preschool.
   "Hello, Delilah, hi Anderson!" I cooed into the phone, Delilah's cell had rung a few times, she had not picked up, so I was leaving voicemail. "I just wanted to let you know that the first day went well, I signed up for a study group, classes begin tomorrow, and you don't need to worry about me. I met my roommate, she's a sophomore, my age, and rather interesting. I don't want to be too judgmental, but she seems to be a daddy's girl and kinda snooty and rich. Eh, still, she's out trying to snag a husband, so I don't think we'll have I interact much. I love you all, make sure Andy to call me and tell me what you learned! Bye, bye have a great night. Hugs and kisses." And with that I hung up, ready to prepare myself for bed and sleep in my bunk for the very first time.


2 comments:

  1. Yikes, her roommate is... unpleasant, to say the least. LOL. I'm surprised her roommate talked to her that much considering she kept insisting she didn't want to be her friend. Hopefully she can find someone a little more down to earth to get to know. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her roommate is definitely a little... off. Luna dislikes having to room with a non-sorority girl and is use to being able to be entitled, so it will be an adjustment for both of them.
      Phoebe will find someone to become friends with, don't worry. :)

      Delete