Wednesday, March 20, 2013

1.0: Prologue

  Just a little, innocent girl who loved to play with her dolls and create stories in her head. That's all she was. The little seven year old girl in second grade who was friends with everyone. The teachers loved her imagination and intelligence. Life was happy and joyous for everyone that met her; My Little Ray of Sunshine, her father would call her. Her life was shielded and safe; the pains of the real world were unknown to her. Until now.
“I can't live with this Sandra! I work all day, there's bills to pay and the baby....how are we suppose to keep paying for your therapy?”
“Mark....please! Give it a chance....give me a chance.”
“Eight years! Eight years I've been giving you a chance! How are you suppose to blame me for wanting to relax?”
“Relax? Mark....” Sandra hardly believed his year long affair with his dim witted coworker was relaxation.
“A new baby was suppose to help! This wasn't suppose to happen! It's been four months and still...”
“Mark, it isn't my fault!” She blubbered, holding back the tears.
“No, Sandy, it was.” He walked off, slamming the front door in her face. They both loved their child; that was the one thing holding them together, yet even that wasn't enough.
“Mommy, where's Daddy going?” She innocently asked, witnessing the fight from the safety of her cracked bedroom door.
“Daddy's...Daddy's leaving....” She burst into tears.
“Leaving?” She was confused. Daddy left for work every morning, but today wasn't every morning. It was Saturday. He was suppose to take her and her mother out to the park so they could go roller skating and lick ice cream from the cones as it dripped down their hands, while watching the annual Fourth of July firework display burst into vibrant color as everyone oohed and ahhed. “Is he working?”
“No, honey...he's going...forever.”
“Forever?” Her teacher told her that forever was a long time. You waited in line at the amusement park forever, but people didn't leave forever. Did they?
The rumble of an old car's motor sent tears flowing down her mother's face. The little child rushed to the window.
She watched as her father's car pulled out of the driveway and zipped away from the house. He didn't even turn to wave goodbye. He just left.
 “Daddy...don't go.” She whispered. “I promise to eat my vegetables and I won't ask for that new doll, and I won't complain when you tell me to clean up my room! Just...” The car turned the corner. She finally understood. Forever wasn't something with rides at the end. It was pain and misery. It wasn't just happiness and bliss; pain, suffering, the world was full to the brim with unhappiness, and few people ever found the special moment; that one true love. Daddy wasn't leaving to go to work, he wasn't going to bring candy or a teddy bear when he cam home, because he wasn't coming home.
Through the tears her mother cried, she felt one thing. Confusion. What did this mean? Tommy's parents had gotten a divorce. Her teacher explained that a divorce was when two parents love each other very much, but they sometimes fight. They decide that they both need a little time out from one another. That's why they all needed to be extra nice to Tommy, and make sure to share the crayons with him. Mommy and Daddy weren't getting a divorce, were they? Did divorces exist, or did you only read about them, like unicorns and fairies?
“Mommy, is Daddy getting a time out?” When she yelled, she got a time out. Was he? Wasn't that what her teacher said a divorce was?
“Sweetie...he...he,” she sniffled. “Daddy's time out is going to be....he....we won't be seeing him, okay?”
“Okay.” She considered what her Mommy meant. Daddy was going to come back, when he learned not to yell. “Will he be back, when he learns not to yell?”
“No...we...we'll never see him, again.”
“A divorce?” Was that what a divorce was? Never seeing each other again?
“Not...not exactly....” Sandra would stay legally married to him for the rest of her life. She'd never trust another man enough to ever have a reason to get a divorce. She'd lost hope in love; a lesson she could only regrettably teach to her daughter; it was impossible avoid. “Daddy's....gone.”
“Gone?”
“It'll be Mommy and you time. That's always fun.” She tried to sound cheerful for the sake of her daughter. Her daughter didn't need to have to deal with tragedies; she was a simple minded seven year old. Wasn't she?
“I guess.” She shrugged, putting a smile on her face, because her mother seemed so bleak and dreary.
“I love you.” Her mother whispered. As she hugged her, tightly, protectively.
“I love you, too, Mommy.”
“Now, go play.” Her mother smiled as her bouncy child rushed off to finished her game of pretend.
What was she to do? A single, unemployed mother who had a growing seven year old to care for. She had to put aside her pains and take care of the only light in the dark tunnel of her life. Him leaving...it wasn't her fault, was it? Her therapy would be too expensive now, she'd have to cope on her own....her own. The meaning hit her. A lonely girl in high school, and throughout life, who'd only met Mark by the pure luck that the jock was failing college and needed the nerd to stay on the sports team. All their friends were Mark's friends, who excepted his quiet wife. She had no real friends. If Mark left, so did they.
The girl's life was losing the sheltered, perfect way day by day. She'd age, every year her clothes getting a little tighter, her toys becoming more worn, and money tighter. She learned to not ask for anything new and ignore her feelings. Her mother was giving up everything for her and she had to thank her someway; by earning A's and the highest praises in school. Maybe then, Daddy would come home.

21 comments:

  1. Awww, her poor little daughter, thinking she has to shoulder all that responsibility because it might make Daddy come home.
    I like the start of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is sad when something unfortunate happens in a child's life and they don't know why it happened. The easiest thing for them is to think "I did it, it's all me." because they grew up thinking their parents where saints and can't understand that it wasn't them; it was their role model. Sometimes we try to protect the ones we love by taking blame.

      I wanted to write a prologue that really let everyone see where she came from and how her commitment issues started, since that plays a big role in the beginning. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I love the beginning. I've only read a few legacy stories but none of them showed the founder actually, ya know, having a life before the challenge began. Which then again most of them are just about getting married, pop out a few kids, and try to make money. I like this one, seems dramatic! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so glad you like it! This is my first legacy, so I figured to keep it interesting I'd make it more like an actual story and have some drama and let you get to see a little chunk of the founders childhood and how it changed everything for them; not the usual Step One get married. Step Two have some kids. Step Three try and make some money. Step Four next generation. Step Five repeat, plot you mentioned. :)

      Delete
  3. This was a really good start, quite tragic but really good.

    I like the way that you portrayed the child. It made it very realistic that a sheltered child of seven wouldn't understand the gravity of the situation, or the situation at all.

    And of course I love anything that seems plot based, especially since so many legacy's seem to follow the same method, or just talk about what is happening (not that there's anything wrong with that n__n), this is just different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for commenting. =)

      I wanted things to be as realistic as possible for this chapter and give people some insight on Alyce's childhood; she won't really understand anything until she's older and it'll effect her character greatly. Sadness can often have a greater effect on someone's life then happiness, and I wanted to portray that (Not saying that she won't have some happy moment ;) )

      I read a bunch of legacies before beginning, and I really wanted to do something that was a little different from norm. I have a much easier time writing from the Sim's perspective as the event happens and feel like that I can make the events more personalized this way. (I agree, there's nothing wrong with a diary style writing or talking about what's happening- whatever works for the writer. :) )

      Delete
  4. I have very high standards when it comes to legacies, and yours has passed my test. I look forward to reading this grand legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! =D I'm so glad you like it and hopefully will feel the same way about the rest of my story! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started reading this, and I really enjoyed the prologue, and can't wait to actually get started. I also just started my own blog, I was wondering if you'd check it out. Only 1 chapter so far, I literally just started and have no readers, so i'd really appreciate if you would check it out if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) Thanks so much for commenting. I'll defiantly check out your blog. :)

      Delete
  7. I love the start, its very detailed x I am just going to go and read the next chapter now :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a great start! I love the beginning. That poor little girl. I could feel her pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's defiantly going through a lot. She's so young and going through so much, but doesn't have a full understanding of what's going on. :) Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  9. The poor little thing, I bet that will influence how she lives her life. But will she exhaust herself trying to be too perfect or just settle for having a f,ally of her own.... I can't wait to find out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will defiantly influence her life, not only was it tragic for a little girl to have to go through, her mother also became not as trusting of men and passed that lesson down to her daughter. :) Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  10. It's a dramatic start but I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!!!! I finally found time to stop by! It is a dramatic beginning, but I really liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is dramatic and yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

      Thanks for commenting and reading. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi :) I have nominated you for The Sunshine Blogger Award: https://thebloomlegacyblog.wordpress.com/sunshine-blogger-award/

    And btw I love your story :D

    ReplyDelete