Monday, February 10, 2014

6.12: Family Gatherings

 

   I  sat here quietly. I didn't talk loudly. I stood here alone, gasping for air. Her coffin was closed, just like her memories. After my birthday we couldn't put it off anymore. The flowers and gifts used to send off surrounded the casket. I was never going to see her face again. Didn't know what was happening, but I knew it was bad. Mommy was gone. Daddy was crying. Strangers who were suppose to be family hugged me. My aunt Connie, great-grandma Holly, a bunch of great-uncles I'd never met who just got outta jail. My mom's family was here for a reunion.


  It was my turn to see the casket. I walked up and cried a little, saying goodbye. There wasn't a smaller one, cause daddy said it would be too sad. This was mommy's new stone home. I didn't get it, but I was just five. Having to say goodbye to mommy before she finished that story.


   Aunt Connie talked to Great Grammy Holly. She said she was sad she didn't get to see her sister more. I haven't ever met Connie before, but she's famous and has been in movies. I didn't get why everyone was whispering and pointing to me. Saying poor child. I'm not that poor. Mommy's just gone. I miss her. I love mommy. I asked daddy when she'd come home, but he said she couldn't cause she was gone. Gone. Gone. People say that a lot when your mommy is in a casket and you're forced to dress in black.

   Everyone stood, ready for daddy's speech. He talked about how it was too soon. How it wasn't fair. How at twenty-three mommy was gone. I didn't like her being gone. Gone. Gone. We stood, hugging and crying. He said that the baby wasn't able to be saved. That a lost a sibling. Everything was unfair. He talked and he talked, until it was over. People began leaving, slowly and slower. They all said I love you and kissed my cheek.


   Now there was only one left. My great-grandpa Parker here to say bye-bye to his granddaughter. He sat here quiet, not crying or anything. Soon it was time to bury her and he left. Everybody was gone, just like mommy was. Daddy began folding up chairs and I helped. Everyone was gone.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Hazel. What a sad day for the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, especially for Hazel who doesn't have an exact grasp on the gravity of the situation.

      Delete