Sunday, February 23, 2014

6.14: Coming Out

Marco's POV...

   "We come to this festival expecting a fun time. Maybe we come with friends, maybe with our parents or children or even grandchildren. We come to this festival expecting fun for the family fun that's safe for everyone. This fair, while it may masquerade as safe, is not! They're using hormones, they're genetically modifying the food they serve, to keep it fresh! We are eating toxins! They're poisoning your daughters and sons, just so they can keep food days, even weeks, past the expiration date and serve them to you! Is this right? We all love the festival, put we love it for high quality fun, not some sort of cheap corner cutting profit machine." Hazel was standing on by the podium, leading the protest.
    When we were littler, maybe middle school, Hazel was obsessed with nature documentaries and planting trees and flowers; she said she was taking care of the Earth or saving it or something. Said nature was like a friend to her. When we reached high school, her nature lover-ness went a little crazy. She began researching animal cruelty, GMOs, the truth behind the food industry. She started eating only organic foods and became a vegetarian. When we graduated and Hazel didn't get into the university she applied to (she wanted to study GMOs and prove that we shouldn't be mass producing, chemically treating what we eat) she didn't know what to do. Until she saw a famous animal right's activist protesting in front of the world's largest and cruelest food company. She began setting up protests and rallies and dragging me along with her.
    We were both twenty now. She still lived at home with her father who was practically ancient, defiantly senile, and still running for mayor. I got into college and was spending my Thanksgiving break at home visiting my parents and older sister who recently got married. I was studying medicine; I wanted to be a heart surgeon. Hazel and I were still close friends, but were drifting apart some. She thought after two years of protesting, something would have changed. Nothing had. That didn't make Hazel any less amazing. Any less beautiful and talented. That didn't stop me from thinking if I helped out she'd fall for me.

   "Yeah! Now, I talked to our mayor and city council men and woman! They're thinking about passing a bill that states you cannot serve chemically treated or modified foods without warning people! Yeah, we're going to bring change! Change, change, change!" She began chanting. "Change, change! What do we want?"
   "CHANGE?!" The small group shouted.
   "Change! We want change." She smiled and stepped off, walking towards me.
   "Great protest." I smiled.
   "Thanks. I finally think that something will happen."
   "Good."
   "Yeah... I've wanted to help for so long. Ya think having daddy be a politician would help, but it doesn't. Thank you Marco."
    "You're welcome. I like helping you."

    "I appreciate it. Are you excited to meet AJ?"
    "AJ?" I began searching my mind. She'd mentioned an AJ a few times prior to the conversation. Something about- I felt sick suddenly. She was dating AJ. AJ took her to a resort in the Bahamas that was an animal activist's nature lover's dream. "Oh, yeah. You said that AJ was coming. I didn't see him."
   "Marco." She giggled. "You're so funny. I always loved your sense of humor."  She loved my sense of humor? I wasn't even trying to be funny. "Oh, look! AJ." I turned around, searching for the man who was good enough for her.
   "Hey, Hazel." A girl shouted, running towards us. Where was AJ? I glanced around. The girl must be some activist friend. I turned my head back to face Hazel and-

   "Wat the hell?" I shouted. This girl was shoving her tongue into Hazel's- I turned away. Was this assault? What was happening?
    "Dude, chill." The girl laughed. "Hazel, you haven't introduced me toy our boy toy yet."
    "I'm not her-"
    "This is Marco Tahan. Marco, AJ."
    "Wait, you're a...a..."
    "Marco, is it? You can say it. The word."
    "Lesbian?"
    "Yeah." Hazel looked lovingly at AJ. How could I have not known? How could I have loved this girl, Hazel, for so long when she didn't even like me gender? "AJ and I've been dating for a year and a half. I thought I told you. Guess not." How come she was acting like this wasn't a big deal? Wasn't it? I had no problems with it, her being gay or lesbian or whatever, but didn't people normally have some
sort of coming out thing?
    "He's doing it." AJ sighed.
    "What? It-no-I-" I blushed as I stuttered. "Just shocked."
    "Look Marco," Hazel said. "If straight people don't have to come out and tell their parents that they're straight, why do I? It's a surprise to you, but trust me, AJ is amazing. Once you get to know her, you'll  agree."
     "Does your dad know?"
     "Don't think it ever came up." She shrugged.
     "Hazel." AJ whined. "You said you'd tell him that you were dating."
     "I know, honey. Look, I don't need his approval, though. Why does it matter?"
     "Cause most fathers like meeting their only daughter's girlfriend."
     "You'll meet him, soon."
     "Pllllleassse. Let's go now." AJ stared at Hazel with puppy dog eyes. "I don't like you having to sneak over to my house for us to," She leaned in close to Hazel and whispered things I'm glad I didn't hear. I was shocked enough. "I'll even do that one thing you love. Come on. I went shopping. I have something special for you. A surprise"
     "You know I can't resist your surprises. I'll tell him." She sighed. "But I want to go alone. Okay?" She turned towards me. "Marco, I don't care if you tell people or not, just... be my friends, okay?"
      "Okay... I need to go back. Home. College. Look... I probably won't be back for a long time. I'm trying to get an internship and everything. LA." I turned and ran. I ran from the girl I loved. Use to love.
      "Marco!" I heard Hazel call out. She was crushed. I could hear it in her voice. I supported her no matter what, I didn't want her thinking that I was upset with the fact that she loved another woman, I was upset that she didn't love me. It wouldn't matter if she dated a girl or guy or if AJ was a billionaire or a supermodel or played professional basketball or was karate champion of the world. Nobody, boy or girl, was ever good enough for Hazel.

Hazel's POV...

   "Dad, I'm home!" I called out. I took a deep breath. All I had to do was tell him about AJ, who was waiting at her apartment for me.
   "Living room." I heard a quiet voice say. I heard him gasping for air.
   "Dad, I have something to tell you." I walked into the living room and say him playing chess by himself.
   "Alright." He said, standing up. He was wearing his suit he loved so dear. The one he wore to the office everyday. I took a deep breath. He supported gay marriage. He openly stated that he did. Why was I worried? I knew he'd be fine with it. I didn't need his approval anyways. I was only doing this because AJ wanted him to know. AJ was a goddess. So kind and sweet. Beautiful, intelligent, caring. She worked at an animal rescue center.
    "So... hey."
    "Hello." He stared at me blankly, waiting for me to say something. "What do you wish to tell me? I was playing chess... the black king was about to take the white rook. Dangerous, a king doesn't usually capture things."
    "You can get back to chess soon." I promised. "This won't take long."
    "What will not take long? hazel, please just tell me."
    "Daddy, I'm dating someone."

    "Ah." He said, looking at his feet. "I knew you were."
    "Were what?" I asked, confused. He knew I was dating a lady? I knew he wouldn't care. I knew he would be happy as long as I was happy. "Because I didn't think it was a huge deal. AJ told me I needed to tell you though. I was worried about what you'd think."
    "Your mother, she too was in a similar situation."
     "Dad?!" I exclaimed. My mother was gay? I knew she died because of complications with her second pregnancy, but I didn't think that she was gay. How come I was just finding out? Was this why daddy never talked about her?
    "We'll keep it out of the public eye, of course. Just like with your mother. Of course, your grandfather, he passed shortly after your mother, told the public. I lost support from voters, so I didn't get to be mayor, but I still love you."
    "Great. I didn't know mom was like me. It's a shock, but..."
    "AJ supports you, I assume."
    "Of course?" I wasn't sure if he meant whether AJ supported me telling him or something else.
    "Good. How far along are you? Are you keeping it?"
    "Excuse me?" What the hell was he taking about?
    "The baby. AJ got you pregnant." He stated, plain and simple.
    "What?! No. Daddy, AJ's a girl."
    "So... you're... you're gay? Or a lesbian? What the fudge Hazel? I thought you were pregnant. We could hide the fact that you were unmarried for voters, but this? Do you want me to lose the votes?"
    "Gee, I'm sorry! Wait... you said you like mom. Did you do that to her? Hide the fact that she was pregnant with me? That's a scumbag thing to do."

     "Scumbag? You're dating a girl! I want to be mayor!" He was screaming like a toddler. "I want votes! Look, if you were pregnant and a slut, we could hide that. This? are you trying to make me be ashamed?"
     "You're ashamed? Are you kissing? Do you honestly wish I was some sort of slut who was giving it away rather than be gay? I'm in a loving, committed relationship. Look, I thought you'd support me! You're suppose to be my father and love me no matter what!"
    "I want that fudging mayor position! You made me not get it! I want it. I don't care if this is a phase-"
    "Phase? I love her. This isn't a phase."
    "I don't care. Hide it."
     "No! I love AJ."
     "No, you're getting revenge. Your mother died because I wanted a baby and you're mad. You  didn't have any strong female role models or some sort of bullsugar."
     "I hate you! I want my dad's support and you tell me that?" I felt tears coming. This was too much to take in. Too much.
     "Get out then. Don't come back here. You hate me? Get out. I'll disown you."
     "Dad, please." I said crying. "Daddy."
     "Get out. GO!"
     I turned and began running. I couldn't believe he was doing this to me. I thought he loved me. I thought he supported me no matter what. I wished I didn't care. I did, though. I was going to move on. Dad kicked me out, fine. I was never coming back to him. He thought he could say something like that and apologize or buy me back? No. I was independent now. I was twenty years old, my best friend ran off to college, my girlfriend thought this was a good idea, and I was independent now. I would survive. I would thrive. I would save the planet and not need a damn father or anyone helping me. I had a bank account. I would buy a home and get a job. I don't need my father.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Booker is still trying to be mayor? I will give him credit for being determined. It's too bad he's still letting the fact that he wants votes make him blind to supporting his daughter. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booker is power hungry. It's sad, but he let that hunger consume him and ruin his relationships.

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete