Saturday, October 11, 2014

9.1: Flying to LA

   "Good bye house." I said it was the end of the month and I had informed my landlord that I was moving out; he told me just to leave the key underneath the doormat with this month's rent. It didn't seem like the most intelligent plan, but I was in no mood to argue- I just wanted to get out as soon as possible.
   "Bye, bye homie." Andy waved to the house, as I picked him up. All the furniture came with the home, other than the clothes, food, toys, linens and crib and baby swing, which was already on some plane being shipped to LA, there was nothing for me to pack up.
   "We're going to go to the airport." I said to him.
   "C'mon, Pho!" I heard Delilah call from the from passenger seat of the cab. "We have to be at the airport in twenty minute a in order to make it through security in time."

   "Alright..." I said, trying to sound enthusiastic. Here was something surreal about leaving the only city you'd ever lived in. Despite the pain and panic associated with Isla Paradiso, it was still my home and the Virgin Islands was still my county. I opened the cab's door to see that Delilah had already fastened the carseat into it. I strapped Andy in, then I hopped around to the other side, climbed in, and buckled myself in.
   "Deli not got seatbelt!" Anderson called out, pointing towards his step-mommy.
   "Phoebe." She whispered. "They're so uncomfortable! Do I have to wear it?"
   "Yeah." I nodded. "Set a good example for him."
   "Safety first!" She exclaimed in an overly chipper tone, as she buckled her seatbelt. "I'll have to get use to this example s-hhheet."
   "Nice save." I smirked. "Airport, please." I said to the cabbie, who began driving.
   "It's refreshing seeing lesbian co-parents adopt. I don't understand why people get so torn up about it."
   "We're not lesbians..." I said. "Or at least, I'm not."
   "Uh, neither am I. Not that there's anything wrong with that... She's, uh, she's my- nope. Can't say it."
   "Step-daughter. There."
   "Really?!" The cabbie exclaimed. "Are you sure you aren't sisters? Is the little man there her step-grandson?"
   "He's my brother." I said. 
   "Okay..." The cabbie glanced from Delilah into the mirror at Anderson and me. "I'm sure family reunions are fun."
   "I'm only thirty." Delilah quickly said. "She's eighteen, he's three."
   "He didn't ask." I said. 
   "I know. It just- I mean, c'mon. You're way too young for me, even if I was a lesbo."
   "Isn't lesbo offensive?"
   "I dunno. I don't mean it to be."
   "Yeah, well, I'm fairly certain it is."
   "Why are you parenting me? I should be parenting you."
   "Leh-Bo!" Andy exclaimed, smiling and clapping. "Leh-Bo, leh-Bo, leh-Bo."
   "Look what you did."
   "Me?" She innocently gasped. "You repeated it."
   "Yeah, well you're the mom."
   "Don't you dare call me that word."
   "Mommy, mommy, mommy." He said, pointing to her.


   "Haha." I chuckled. "Wow..."
   "Can I ground him?"
   "He's three."
   "True... Can I ban him from watching Sesame Street?" 
   "I don't let him watch TV."
   "Really? Are you like one of those lame, superstitious child raisers?"
   "Child raiser?"
   "Well parent implies that you birthed him, had some part in his conception, or a romantic relationship with someone who did."
   "Ah, well, I'm just trying my best. I figured he's already going to be a rebellious, angst filled teenager who goes through therapists like a toddler goes through crayons, I don't need to make him worse."
   "Aww... He won't be like that. Look at his chubby little cheeks and curls. He'll be fine."
   "Do you know the stereotypical personas available for kids whose parents died when they were young? There's only one and it's the rebel goth one."
   "Anderson, promise Delilah you won't be like that." She turned to face him and said it with a huge smile on her face, like she was telling him he could have lolly pops and cotton candy instead of mashed peas and chicken for dinner.
   "What Deli, me what?"
   "Aw... Promise me you will be an angel."


   "Mama, sissy, daddy angels. Me be goodie."
   "Yes. You be goodie."


   "We're here." The cab driver said.
   "Thanks." I said, unbuckling Anderson and exiting the car. Delilah tossed him a twenty and exited as well. We began towards the building, as Andy smiled and clapped and pointed wildly at he planes that were coming and going.
   "I wonder…" She began, then she paused. 
   "You wonder?" I curiously asked.
   "I… He thought we were lovers or sisters or that Andy was your kid. Will people always be like that?"
   "I dunno. I've never been to California; I don't know how the people are."
   "Interesting… very, well, interesting." She opened the door and I stepped inside. The noise of the hustle and bustle of busy travelers filled my ears as I tried to keep Anderson calm.
   "Loud! No, no, they shh, shh." He looked like he was on the verge of a meltdown. I'd never taken him in an incredibly loud or crowded place before, clearly he wasn't reacting well.
   "Aw, honey, it'll be okay." Delilah cooed to him. "This is an airport! Yay."
   "No, no." He said, as he began flailing his arms, tears streaming down his teeny tiny cheeks.
   "Oh boy." I muttered. "This is going to be a long flight.

2 comments:

  1. That was quite the interesting conversation they had in the car with the cab driver, LOL. It is unfortunate these days that people assume so much about other people, like their relationship status or how a kid is going to grow up. Kids grow up depending on who takes care of them, they don't always have to be rebels or goths just because their parents died. Kids develop their own personalities too and sometimes even kids in loving families turn out badly, just as a kid in a bad family can turn out to be a really great person.
    Poor Anderson, crying in the airport, LOL, I can imagine it being overwhelming for him if he's never been in a place like that before. I hope he calms down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, haha. :) People have trouble minding their own business and do make too many false assumptions. Anderson won't grow up good or bad because his parents died, he will develop his own personality despite stereotypes and learn that it doesn't matter how unconventional you home life is, if you have a loving support system, that's all you need, regardless of blood relationships.

      Delete