Tuesday, December 23, 2014

9.11: Meet the Parents


   "You know, we're eventually going to have to pick a destination." I said, glancing over at Xavier, who was driving.
   "I know..."
   "I wish it wasn't true. I wish I could run away from all my responsibilities and travel the world with you."
   "Yeah." He let out a chuckle. "Welcome to adulthood, Pho." After we left the consignment store, we traveled back to Xavier's apartment, grabbed some cash, a few granola bars, water bottles, personal hygiene products, a blanket, and two changes of clothes, I'd split my wardrobe in between Delilah's home and his, for each of us. We'd been driving almost fourteen hours, stopping at shops that appeared to be quirky or promising, gas stations when the car needed to be refueled, or we needed a restroom break. So far we'd bought a piggybank covered in cupcakes, had sex in a national forest, and stumbled upon a crime scene where cops were busting two convenience store owners for selling meth.
   "Are you tired?" I asked, noticing that he was stifling a yawn. "We can switch; you've driven the past two hundred miles."
   "Sure... Provided you're willing to let me give you directions; I think I know a place we could visit."
   "Ooh, where?" I asked curiously, as he pulled over to the side of the rode so we could switch spots.
   "You'll see." He murmured, as he leaned forward, kissing me.

________________

   "We're here!" Xavier exclaimed, pointing towards large homely looking house. The flowers, the matching shutters- everything screamed stereotypical, middle class, American family.
   "Whose home is this?"
   "Pho, do you remember where I said my rode trips always end?" He asked, looking at me with hope. Hope that I wouldn't get angry? Or was it a different kind of hope?
   "Your... Your parents?"
   "I thought... Well, you've never met them, so... It's a surprise for them, too."
   "This is wonderful!" I smiled, kissing his cheek. "You've met my family, Delilah, Anderson, maybe it is time for me to meet yours."
   "I'm glad you think that." We opened the car's door, stepping outside. He took my hand, as we began walking towards the cheerily painted front door. I took a deep breath, as Xavier knocked on the door. I'd never had a relationship serious enough to warrant meeting the parents; this was a huge deal to me.


   "Hello!" A graying woman, who'd thrown open the front door, exclaimed. "Xavier, dear?"
   "Hi, mom. I thought I'd surprise you and dad with a visit. Is that alright? I'm sorry for not calling ahead-"
   "Oh, nonsense, nonsense. I'm just happy to see you. Once a year was never enough. Now, why don't you two come inside, introduce Christopher and me to your friend." She ushered us inside, to the living room, telling us to sit, she'd bring us tea or coffee.
   "Christopher! Come say hi to our visitors." She called, from the kitchen.
   "Your mother seems nice." I smiled.
   "She is. She can be a tad smothering at times, but it's all meant with lovingness."
   "I wish my mother was like that..." I quietly said, glancing down at my hands. He knew that my family dynamics didn't match up with the norm; it was odd to me just to have a mother who accepted you, lovingly, into her home, no questions asked.


   "Hello." A gray, slightly chubby man said, smiling, as he stuck out his hand for Xavier to shake. He stood up, shook his father's hand, then they hugged. "Good to see you, son."
   "Good to see you, dad. How's the office been?"
   "They're managing without me." He chuckled. "Can you believe I've been retired three years, now? I still drop by occasionally, see how things are going. It's funny, when I'm there, I'm the boss, not that yuppie kid."
   "Good, good. Now that we're all here, let's pour some tea and begin the introductions." Ms. Tenant said, as Mr. Tenant took the tray from her, passing out the mugs.
   "Cream and sugar?"
   "No thank you, sir." I smiled, taking a sip of the tea. Lingering traces of vanilla and cinnamon enlightened my taste buds; I'd never been one to drink tea, but this was delicious.
   "Sir? Please, call me Christopher- not Chris- doll."
   "Alright, si- Christopher."
   "Now Xavier, please introduce us to your rather pretty, polite friend." His mother said, sitting down upon the cozy furniture.
   "Thank you." I beamed. His parents were so wonderful; was this how most parents acted?
   "This is Phoebe Janes, she's my..." he paused, I could tell he didn't know what to call me. We hadn't bothered discussing his proposal any; we where so caught up in escaping our responsibilities in LA.
   "I'm his fiancee." I looked at him for a moment, as he sat in shock, his mouth hanging open.
   "Y-yeah. Fiancee." He nodded, sipping his tea.
   "Oh my goodness! Well welcome to the family, dearie."
   "Thank you, Ms. Tenant."
   "Oh, honey, if you're going to be my daughter, call me Isadora, or mom."
   "Alright, Isadora."
   "Now, tell us about yourself." Christopher said.


   "Well, I use to live in Isla Paradiso, in the Virgin Islands." I began telling them my history.

________________


   "Is that okay?" I asked, standing at the foot of Xavier's bed. Isadora and Christopher had insisted that we stay at their home. even though we offered to go to a hotel; we arrived with no warning, it wasn't fair to force them to offer us lodging. Even though we'd announced our engagement, his parents still separated us.
   "That you agreed to be my fiancee? to marry me? Are you insane; of course it is!" He moved off the bed, hugging me. "I love you, Phoebe."
   "I love you, too, Xavier. Just... One thing. Is it alright if I don't change my last name? It's... My parents, they died; it's the only connection I have left... Other then Anderson."
   "Can I change my last name?"
   "Pardon?"
   "To Janes? Phoebe, if your last name means that much to you, I, I want to share it with you, is that alright?"
   "Of course!" I exclaimed, kissing him. "Phoebe and Xavier Janes... It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"
   "God, you don't know how bad I want to..."
   "We could..." I said, running my fingers through his hair.
   "We're at my parents house."
   "True." I sighed. "Perhaps... Perhaps tomorrow, we could somewhere, celebrate the engagement?"
   "I cannot wait." And with that, I left his room, anxious for tomorrow to arrive.

NOTE: Christopher is actually a sim (that you can download HERE) designed by the lovely SeriphinaFyie, that I've altered slightly.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, sex in a forest. Awesome. It's good that they didn't stumble across a poison oak bush. :D Xavier's parents are so cute. His dad's outfit cracked me up, shorts with a suit jacket, LOL. He was a cute old man though. Isadora is a really cool name. :D Aww and she said yes. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, talk about getting lucky. ;)
      They are! I had fun getting to write the (future) in-laws since I, perhaps regretfully, tend to not talk about anyone who isn't immediate family. Aw, thanks, love the name Isadora.

      Delete