Saturday, January 17, 2015

10.2: Geeks and Graduations

   "Okay, okay, everybody stand still!" Mom exclaimed, ushering us into position. "Four seconds..." The camera's timer was counting down, as we glanced around, mom standing behind the sofa next to Chester, who was next to dad, who was next to Felix. I sat on the left side of the sofa, Remy was on the right, and Hadley was in the middle, between us.
   Click! The flash went off, as I attempted to smile pleasantly.
   "How's the photo look, Hadley?" Dad asked, as she stood up, glancing at the small screen.
   "Well, ohmigawd, my hair look fab."
   "And the rest of us?" Remy asked, irritated. We'd been attempting to take a photo of us on her graduation day for half an hour, so far none of us had managed to look at the camera, have our eyes open, and smile simultaneously.


   "May I see?" I asked, standing up, as Hadley fluffed her hair, handing my the camera. "We aren't looking at it!"
   "Well, it has to do, can we get going, please? I don't want to be late to my own graduation."
   "Relax, Remy." Hadley said. "I need to look good in this photo, it isn't all about you."
   "That's ironic." Felix muttered. "Beside, Rem's right, we gotta get there, plus I have a customer at three."
   "I need to look!" The middle sister cried out, stomping her foot.
   "Your hair looks good, honey." Mom said. "Surely that's enough? Next year, we'll be taking a picture on your graduation day, the year after we'll be taking one for Ryelynn... Oh." She sniffled. "My babies are all grown up... I think I'm going to need tissues, Xavier, would you please-?"
   "Of course, darling." He said, kissing her cheek, before turning to go grab Kleenex from the bathroom.

___________________

   "That valedictorian's speech was rather..." A moderately attractive man with thick, black rimmed glasses said.
   "Pardon?" I asked, turning to face him, smiling.
   "Oh, I was just saying the veledictorian's speech-"
   "God, I'd rather be tied down and forced to watch The Phantom Menace then sit trhough that pain in the butt speech again."


   "I mean the first three episodes should be considered homicide, they slaughter the story so horridly."
   "Right?! Any self respecting Star Wars fan should agree."
   "Precisely. I'm Vance Kapaldi, by the way."
   "Ryelynn Janes, nice to meet you." We shook hands, his grip was firm, he made eye contact; a decent handshake, something my father said was important. When you're in a business meeting, your first impression doesn't come from your dress or how you introduce yourself, but from your handshake.
   "Janes... sounds familiar. Do you want, to erhm, I mean, uh, maybe, do you eat food?"
   "Yes." I said, chuckling slightly, presuming I'd know what he'd ask next. "I'm guessing you do as well, maybe you want to eat some with me?"
   "Sure! You're not busy, I saw your family?"


   "Oh, Remy, my sister, wants to go out with her boyfriend, my brother has to do a quick checkup on a car at his automotive shop, my other brother has a band practice, then we're all going to go to that Italian restaurant on fifth that was featured in the paper to celebrate around seven, so I've got time."
   "Great." He smiled

________________


   "Best out of seven?" I asked, looking down at the chess pieces. We'd gone to a diner, gotten milkshakes and curly fries, then, seeing the quaint park across the street, decided to play a few rounds of chess. We'd played five games, I'd won two and lost three.
   "If we keep doing best out of odd numbers, you'll miss dinner with your family." He said.
   "You're just happy that you won."
   "Wouldn't you?"


   "I suppose." I shrugged. "Congratulations." I clapped my hands together.
   "Thank you." He said, standing up, taking my hands. "You're very interesting, Ryelynn Janes."
   "Why thank you."
   "And I've had a very pleasant afternoon."
   "As have I..." I leaned forward, closer to him. We were centimeters from him, the guy who was in Hadley's grade, was a huge chess fan and loved Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Issac Asimov with the same passion I did. I looked at his lips, wondering if this is when we were suppose to kiss. This was my first date, this would be my first kiss.


   "Er, don't you have to go?" He pulled away.
   "Oh, yes! I do, I mean, yeah." I looked at my feet, blushing. "Thank you for the entertainment... And the chess lessons."
   "My pleasure, maybe we could, you know, again, you know, this, do it?"
   "I'd like that." And with that, I turned away, heading off to the restaurant, hoping I'd see the adorable geek named Vance again.

4 comments:

  1. LOL I agree with everything you said about The Phantom Menace. XD
    I like Vance's hair. :D It's adorable, and so are his glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Haha, I'm glad; I think lots of fanatics do, as well.
      I love that hairstyle! It reminds me of Matt Smith a bit... I love simmy glasses, sadly, though I rarely use them. :)

      Delete