Saturday, January 17, 2015

10.3: A Date? My Sister? Sure, Why Not?


   "Hey, Rye, I've got a show at seven-thirty, do you wanna come?" Chester asked, as I sat on my beanbag chair in my room, reading. When Felix graduated and moved out, I still had to share a room with Hadley, because the two boys shared a room, since there were only four bedrooms in our home, however after Chester moved out, Hadley moved into his old bedroom and had dad and mum paint it pink. Then, when Remy moved out, to go to uni, Hadley moved into her already pink bedroom, which was slightly smaller then hers, so mum and daddy could make it into an office slash home gym.
   "Sure..." I said, looking up from my book. "Where is it?"
   "Fluke, that small run down club. A record company rep's suppose to be there, we're hoping 63 to 7 will be discovered."
   "You changed the name?"
   "Twenty-First Centruy Screw Ups didn't represent our style that well."
   "Ah." I said, skimming the page of my novel. It was decent, written by an up and coming scifi author, however it didn't compare to the classics.
   "It was 63 to 7 or Panic and Hell Hounds."
   "Panic and Hell Hounds sounds edgy."
   "63 to 7 isn't good?"


   "Oh, oh, that's not what I meant! I like it, it's just not as catchy."
   "Dammit, I'll call Cam, we'll redo the posters."
   "No, no- I didn't." I said, feeling horrid. "Besides, your name doesn't matter, it's the music that counts."
   "True. Anyway, I've got two tickets and I wanted you to come."
   "Aw, that's so sweet, thank you. Can I bring a date?"


   "A Date? My sister? Sure, why not? But I'll kick his-"
   "If he messes up, no need for language." I smiled, feeling flattered that my big brother was so protective of me, though I doubted he'd get to actually kick anything, considering that the date I had in mind was Vance. Since our first date in May, we'd studied together, gone to the comic book stored, talked during school, however it was September and we hadn't gone on an official second date yet.

_________________

   "Your brother's band is good, thanks for inviting me."
   "No problem, I figured that it was about time for a second date."
   "A sec- da- us date?"
   "Erh, I was counting the chess and milkshakes in May as I date. Sorry, I didn't mean-"
   "No, no, don't apologize! You're intelligent and pretty and you listen to my rants about which comic book villains could beat each other and help me apply for colleges, it's just, I feel like I should be the one asking you out."


   "We're not in the 1800's, girls can ask boys out." I rolled my eyes, taking a sip of my virgin cosmopolitan.
   "I know... But, um, do you wanna go steady?"
   "Steady-like serious?" My heart began beating quicker, I'd never had a serious boyfriend, yet I liked him. "Alright."

________________

  "How was the performance?" Chester asked, standing in front of the club.
  "Great! Did the rep like you?"
  "Yeah..."
   "That's wonderful, why do you sound so glum?"
   "She liked me, but not the rest of the band. Or the band at all."
   "Solo career?"
   "No... Not music."


   "Then what?" I asked, curiously, befuddled. How could she like Chester, but not like the band, not like the music, and not want him to have a solo career?
   "Modeling."
   "Modeling? You?"
   "She's married to some big department store co-executive guy and wants me to interview with him."
   "That's... A career." I tried to thread carefully. "I mean, extra cash flow's good, while you're working on your bachelor's and stuff." He was taking online courses, trying to earn a bachelor's in instrumental and acoustical engineering.
   "The headquarters are in Chicago. She wants to fly me to Illinois. Illinois!"
   "So you won't take the opportunity?"
   "I don't know... I mean, the band's not doing well, maybe I need to do this. I could be a model."
   "You'd certainly be a chick magnet." I giggled.
   "Which is why we started the band and I could still play for fun or tips or something... Maybe, maybe I will."
   "You could still." I agreed. "You should do what's best." I said.
   "You're right." He agreed, hugging me. "Thank you, Rye."

4 comments:

  1. First the Star Wars reference, now shouting out to my Hometown Chicago! Man this generation just keeps getting better and better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! :D
      I have to confess, I was probably most excited for this generation, because I'm a bit of a self proclaimed geek.

      Delete
  2. Eeee Illinois! I'm from Illinois too, like the above commenter. LOL.
    Ooh a model? Nice, he'd certainly get money to eventually do whatever he wants, and maybe he could promote his own band that way. So awesome.
    LOL her and Vance are so cute together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love visiting Chicago and getting to do all the tourist stuff (+ I'm looking at the University of Chicago for grad school).
      You're write; Felix would, once he gained enough publicity and economically stable, be able to promote the band.
      Hehe, they are. I love writing geek/nerd love plot lines. :)

      Delete