Sunday, November 3, 2013

4.4: Dives and Dates

   "And remember boys, no running. The rules are right here." I pointed to the water park's rule board that was at the entryway.
   "We know dad." Chase sighed. They'd turned six recently, and had discovered their love for swimming.  Over the summer we had started become frequent visitors water park, much to the delight of  my six year old's who where completely bored with Bridgeport's normal activities. That didn't keep me from going over the rules multiple times, though.
    "Daddy, we'll be fine." Steven said. "Can we go play now?"
    "Yes..." It was a routine. I explain the park's rules, Chase, out of boredom, says he knows them all, and Steven asks if they can go play. They'll go play in the Slip 'n Slides, and I'll dive off the high dive, then lounge in the hot tub. "As long as you two stick together."
    "We will, we will!" They both said together, running off together.  I glanced at the high dive. The line was increadibly long, much longer than usually. I walked to the hot tub, deciding not to wait.

-Steven's POV-  


     "This is so fun!" I shouted, as I slid on the Slip n' Slide.
     "Yeah!" Chase screamed in agreement, as I jumped onto the pink and green one. I stood up, shivering slightly. A light breeze had come by. "Wanna go down the slide?"
     "Slide?" I hadn't ever done that before.
     "It'll be awesome." Chase assured me.
     "Defiantly. Okay, I will." I loved water, and if Chase said something would be awesome, chances are it was. I quickly warmed up, running across the concrete to the slides. Chase climbed up the ladder, rushing down. I followed suit, excitedly.
     "Do you have any money?" Chase asked me, when I landed in the water. 
     "Yeah, why?"
     "I want to buy ice cream."
     "Don't you have some?"
     "Couple quarters."
     "I know! Let's have a contest! Whoever can hold their breath the longest underwater wins all the money."
     "Deal. And then has to buy the loser ice cream."
     "Worried you're going to lose?"
     "Just making sure you have something to cool down your anger after I win."
     "It's on!" We counted to three and submerged ourselves in the pool water.
    I held my nose, hoping that I would win. It wouldn't matter, since either way you got ice cream, but the bragging rights where what we where after; not the money. I glanced at Chase. His eyes where firmly closed. I could feel my lungs getting ready to explode; it had been about twenty seconds. Chase looked fine. I had to keep going. Twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty- three- I felt a tug on my arm.
     "Hey!" I shouted. Chase had pulled me up to the surface; it was a tie.
     "What?" He smirked. "Wanna get ice cream?"
     "You cheated!"
     "Did not!"
     "Did to." I splashed him, angrily. 
     "Did not!" He splashed me.
     "To!"
     "Not!"
     "To-"
     "Boys, what's going on?" We stopped our splashing match- that was turning into a shoving match.
     "Uhhh." We both said at the same time.
     "Can we please have money for ice cream?"
     "Sure. It's getting hot anyways." He handed us each a couple dollar from the pockets in his swim trunks.
     "Great!" We climbed out of the pool, running to the vendors. "Thanks!" I remembered to shout when we where halfway there.

-Parker's POV-

    "Boys, boys, boys." I sighed. I stood up from my current position; I was crouched by the side of the pool and walked back over to the hot tub. I climbed in, glad that I was the only one. I let my brain wander carelessly, with my eyes shut. Twenty-five. Wow... It had been six years since she left, and I was perfectly content living the single dad and twin sons life. It was a bit awkward, especially when I had to go to things like PTA, where the majority of the attendees where mothers a decade older than me, or whenever they needed to bring food into class; I was always the dad who sent in the store bought cookies.
    I opened my eyes, looking around. The boys where currently eating ice cream on the swing set. I glanced around and then- my brain stopped working. There she was. every time I came to this park with the boys, she was always here. Usually she'd be sunbathing or lounging by the pool. I glanced around she didn't appear to be here with anyone. I'd seen her for the last couple times and had slowly begun to develop what might be a tiny crush- if adults even had them.
    Summer was coming to a close; with only two more weeks until school started in September, the water park wouldn't be open for much longer. If I couldn't come to the park anymore, I couldn't see the suntan girl. I didn't know her name; I hadn't talked to her any. I'd never see her again if I left the park today without saying something. My brain raced. This felt like high school, nervously asking a girl out to Prom. (Darcy Williams, and she said yes.)
    I stood up, confident. I worked out at the gym. I stayed in shape. I had my very own Private Investigators firm. What wasn't there to like? She always seemed so confident and kind to everyone- this was fate. Why else would she be here every time I was? She didn't work here- the standard red lifeguard out was defiantly not what she was wearing; I preferred her skimpy green bikini.
    I walked over to her, trying to act nonchalant. "Hey." I smiled.
    "Hey." She said, standing up.
    "I'm Parker."
    "Holly."
    "Holly. Beautiful name." I nervously stuck out my hand, as she shook it. "Mind if I sit?" I gestured to one of the lounge chairs.
    "Go ahead."
    "So... come here often?" I nervously racked my brains for pick up lines. I hadn't used any in so long.. dammit, losing my touch.
    "Seriously?" She laughed, sitting next to me.
    "Yeah." I blushed.
    "Did you just come over here to hit on me?"
    "I'm guessing that yes is the wrong answer, soooo.... nope."
    "You're funny." She laughed. Her laugh was adorable. "So, why are you over here?"
    "To talk about the weather."
    "The weather?"
    "Yep. Defiantly what I meant to say and not the first thing to pop out of my mind."
    "It's hot. It's summer. I'm way to tan."
    "Why do you come every week, then?"
    "Huh?" Crap. I just admitted that I'd seen her before.
    "I come here a lot and have seen you before...you seemed cute and-"
    "Oh, honey you're so clueless." Clueless? Is that bad? "It's adorable."
    "Adorable?"
    "Like a little lost puppy."
    "Is that a good thing?"
    "I certainly think it's a good move."
    "Uh, thanks. Totally what I meant it as."
    "Are you going to ask me out now?"
    "Out?"
    "Come on, you didn't just come over here for an awkward conversation."
    "Want to go out sometime?"
    "Sure! When?"
    "Friday night, nine pm, the Grind?"
    "Love that place. Good choice."
    "Do you want me to pick you up?"
    "Nah, we'll meet. I'd like to get to know you more before giving you my address."
    "You're..."
    "Direct?"
    "And that's totally cool." I nodded. She was different. Quirky. I liked it. "I should go." I glanced over at Chase and Steven, who where running around, chasing each other with sunscreen. 
    "See you Friday."
    "See you." I stood up, excited. I had a date,. One of my first dates since the boys had come along.
    "Daddy, I have a sunburn!"
    "He's chasing my with sunscreen!"
    "Can I have a hot dog?" I sighed as their demands and questions filled my ears. Friday night. Two days from now. Two days to survive.

Thanks to Rflong7 who created this fabulous water park! It was edited by me a little to fit the story better, but Rflong7 gets 100% credit. You can download this amazing park HERE

2 comments: