Sunday, November 3, 2013

4.5 Part Two: Hey, It's Holly

   The library. That's where she said she worked sometimes. I felt stupid, crouching between book shelves, holding up fake plants. This would have been a better stakeout costume if I was at the park, enjoying the great outdoors, instead of the library, soaking up the florescent lightening and smell of ink. I was working on a case, some man thought that his boss, the library's history department chair, was running a small criminal ring. Something about rare books being replaced with fakes. I quickly agreed to the case, knowing it would give me a reason to look for Holly, without seeming like a crazy stalker.
    "Parker?"
    "Ah!" I screamed, turning around. "Hi, um-?" I turned around, gasping.
    "Hey, it's Holly. Is it Halloween or International Crazy Peoples day?" 
    "I'm a P.I. this is for a case."
    "Everyone can see you, even with the bush things."
    "Do you work here?"
    "What? No."
    "Two weeks ago, at the club..."
    "Oh." She took a deep breath. "What else did I tell you?"
    "Nothing, really."
    "Parker, we need to talk."
    "Iamnotstalkingyou."
    "Huh? What, wait stalking me? I believe the private investigator story-"
    "It's true."
    "Great. Doesn't matter to me, but great. I need to tell you something."
    "Alright." I nervously said.
    "Want to get dinner or something?"
    "It's ten am."
    "I know, I just can't take you seriously when you're holding a tree."
    "I see your point. Let's go." I took her hand, as we walked to the bistro across the street. "Table for two, please." I asked the hostess.
     "Right this way, sir." She directed us to a nice table.
     "Thank you." Holly smiled. We sat quietly, in awkward silence. "So...nice view." I glanced around you could see the ocean from our table; it was quite nice.
      "Yeah. Great. So what exactly did you have to talk about?" I asked, cutting to the chase.
      "We should really get to know eachother first."
      "I'm Parker Janes. I'm twenty-five, I have twin sons, Chase and Steven."
      "Wait, twins? SONS?!"
      "Yeah..." I quickly said.
      "Are  you married? Dating?"
      "I'm single."
      "Dead?"
      "Nope...she left..."
      "Thank goodness. I mean not- I just- I'm not a home wrecker."
      "I understand. What about you?"
      "Surrogate mother."
      "Huh?"
      "I'm a  surrogate mother. I was broke and needed money and have a good medical background..."
      "Wait, so do you have kids?!"
      "No.Well, two. I've been pregnant twice, but neither of the babies used my...eggs. This couple, really sweet, wanted a baby, but the mother was too sick to carry a baby. So, I was like an oven. The baby is one hundred percent not me. And then, I carried triplets for a gay couple. I mean, complete accident, suppose to be one baby, right? They used an anonymous donor." Surrogate mother? "Parker? Are you okay? Say something."
      "Not the oddest relationship I've had."
      "Really?"
      "Look, do you want a relationship?"
      "I don't know. I was at the library, removing myself from the donor sites and everything; I'm not one anymore. I don't know. I'm unemployed now."
      "I have sons, so...well, you obviously like children."
      "I do. I want a big family...I just, I've not had a real relationship ever since I started my job."
      "That's alright...?"
      "I don't really want a real relationship. I'll mess it up."
      "No you won't."
      "What if we kept it causal?"
      "I can't do that."
      "What? Why not?"
      "Well, I...when I was eighteen," And I launched into my story. Meredith, Calina, my PI business. Everything. The case and then being a homeworker. It was something I couldn't do again. "I...I really want a real relationship. And I like you, why not take a shot at it?"
     "I just can't be someone's mom yet. I want a big family, but raising twins? What if it doesn't work out?"
     "It may not, it may."
     "Want to be my unofficial boyfriend?"
     "What?"
     "Look, this can we a relationship, we just call it good friends. We'll date and celebrate anniversaries and have emotions and sex and all, but we won't call it dating."
     "Okay."
     "Do not just say yes because I said sex."
     "Totally not."
     "And...I want babies, but not too soon. And you know, twins are good practice. Okay let's do this."
     "Did we just start dating without any of my opinions?"
     "Pretty much."
     "Wow...I need-"
     "Water."
     "Yeah, sounds good. So, we aren't dating. Officially."
     "But this is a date. And I'm paying."
     "You're unemployed though, you need money."
     "I'll be fine."
     "I'm kind of rich. My mother was Madame G." 
     "The famous singer?!"
     "The one and only." I smiled.
     "Fine you can pay."
     I looked at Holly. A few days ago and this was just a dream; something I wanted to happen now it was official. And this was crazy. it started happening so fast, Holly and I dating, her moving in, the boy's getting a mother. We didn't officially begin dating though. We where 'friends'.  Friends who celebrated the boy's seventh, then eighth, then ninth birthday together. Holly and I were insanely in love. We just weren't dating. Yet.

Crazy right? I know! What did you guys think? Leave a comment below to let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I can see how being a surrogate for other people makes you feel like you can't start a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly feels like she wouldn't be completely committed to her relationship if she was one. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete