Friday, October 11, 2013

3.14: Stealing Maverick


   "Parker! What are you doing?" I screamed at him. He was a complete idiot.
   "Pretending that I'm driving a car. What's wrong?" He looked concerned.
   "What the," I glanced around. Mom wasn't around and Dad had meetings until five; it was only four-thirty. Dad was promoted big time and suddenly wasn't a lowly teacher anymore. He was in charge of crap and had meetings and presentations to do. "Sugar." I whispered. "What the sugar are you doing?" The seventh grade girl's bathrooms where brutal and I doubt that the fifth grade boys where any better. Peter was ten and I was twelve; I was the grown up. "I'm watching TV!"
   "It's on commercial."
   "SO?!" I snapped. He's so annoying. I hated him. I thought, as I rolled my eyes. Whatever.
   "I'm sorry. I'll go play in my room."
   "Whatever."
   "Maverick I didn't mean to. Sorry."
   "Shut up."
   "Sorry. I'll be quiet."
   "Shut up and do it! The show's on!"
   "Sorr-" I stood up and pushed him.
   "Go!"
   "I-"
   "Be quiet!" I screamed, pushing him. He bumped into the table, knocking Mum's Chinese jade and gold vase off the table. "Idiot! Look what you did." I mumbled.
    "We shattered it!" He gasped.
    "Oh my gosh." I glanced at the pieces. "I'm so sorry, Parker. I'm so, so sorry. I'm stupid. I'm a sugary person. I'm so, so sorry."
    "You aren't stupid. Thanks for apologizing."
    "Your welcome." I sighed. "I'm horrible. I shouldn't cuss. Sorry." I felt really bad. He's so sweet. He's the best little brother ever.
    "What's going on?" My mother rushed to us. "I heard screaming."
    "We, uh, broke you vase." Parker glanced down. "I'm sorry."
    "WE?!" I glared at Parker. Is he as ignorant as I thought? Is he really so thick that he thinks we did this? WE?! No, it was HIM. I didn't do anything. I was sitting on the couch, while we knocked the vase off while playing cars or whatever childish nonsense. Whatever he was talking about, us fighting that didn't happen. I glanced at him, confused. That didn't happen. "We didn't fight."

    "I just-we-you-but-" Parker glanced at me. "We just did."
    "I don't remember it, though." He must be mental. Maybe some odd brain thing. "Parker," I calmly said. "We did not fight."
    "But-"
    "It doesn't matter if you fought or not. The vase was broken."
    "I promise we'll repay you." I said. "I'll help Parker, I'm so sorry."
    "Maverick, are you alright?"
    "Yeah, Mom. Why wouldn't I?"
    "You where just screaming."
    "She does it all the time. She'll scream, then be apologetic and sad."
    "Sillies." I laughed. I don't do that.
    "Maverick, maybe we should go to the doctor?"
    "Why?!" I snapped. "Because I'm crazy? I'm NOT CRAZY."
    "Maverick, calm down. It'll be okay."
    "Huh? What will be okay. Everything's fine. I'm sorry for us," I glanced at Parker winking. It would be okay, I would keep his secret safe, "breaking the vase. I will repay the cost."
    "Don't worry. It's antique." She chuckled. "It cost a couple thousand grand."
    "We'll split the cost." I nodded at Parker.
    "Uh...it costs more than everything in my bedroom combined."
    "We will pay for it! Idiot! You freaking broke it!"
    "Maverick! You don't have to go skating."
    "You promised. Life sucks. This is horrible. I hate you all!"
    "Maverick!" My mother gasped.
    "Sorry." I felt the tears fly to my eyes. "I'm the one who sucks. My  life sucks. You guys are great. I'm horrible." I hung my head low.
    "No, no. Sweetie, you aren't. I think we should schedule an appointment, though."
    "NO. My life isn't...you don't have to waste time." I wasn't. I'm horrible. Parker broke the vase, but I didn't take the blame. I was horrible. I deserved everything that came to me. I'm bad. Bad, bad, bad. I scolded myself.
     "Mom, you promised we can go skating today. You said we go go after school.Please? It's after school."
     "Okay..." She sighed. She glanced at me. Was she laughing? She was trying to keep from laughing. I know it. People, all they do, is laugh at me behind my back. I'm a fool. They hate me. They don't want me around."Maverick, are you ready?"
     "Of course!" I squealed. We're going to go skating! Skating! I've been to the fair a couple times to see Great-Aunt Cassie and I've skated and it is FUN! I'm excited. Yay, yay, yay, YAY! I cheered in my mind. We're going to have a fabulous time. I'll race Parker and see who can skate faster, fastest, faster. Yipee, yay! Hoary, this will be the best thing. EVER!

      "Kids," My mother said once we arrived, "I'll give you fifteen dollars to spend. You can buy game tickets, whatever, but that fifteen dollars is yours to spend."
      "What about skates?" Parker asked.
       "I'll pay for that and a pizza when we're done."
       "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I exclaimed. Fun, fun, fun. FUN! "Parker, wanna go play skee ball?"
       "Of course!" He hurried after me. "Can you believe mom gave us fifteen dollars? That's ninety tokens to spend."
       "Ninety! We have ninety tickets to spend! I'm so happy." We stopped at the machine, exchanging our bills for little gold coins. "Let's go to skee ball!" I squealed.
       "It's five tokens."

       "Five! Yay, let's play! Let's play." I inserted my tokens into the machine, then withdrew a ball. I arched my arm back, then let the ball fly.
       "Yes! One hundred points." Parker shouted, overjoyed.
       "Five points." I mumbled, disappointed in myself. Five measly points. Five to one hundred. That was nothing. I'm horrible at this game. I should give up.
       "That's cool. You'll get better."
       "You think?"
       "Yeah, defiantly. We haven't played in forever. The last time was at the... carnival, remember? That was two years ago."
       "Oh, yeah."
       "See?"
       "No. No, no, no. I'm a failure. I'll never do anything with my life. I'm awful."
       "Stop saying that. You've been all...blah. Meverick-y-ity all day. This is fun, not sad."
       "I'm still a failure."
       "We played not even a full game. We each had one ball and we have lots more."
       "If you insist, but I'll just mess up again."
       "You will not mess up. Here." He handed me one of his balls. "Now, if you do, you have an extra."
       "Thank you, Parker."
       "I bet it's lucky. You should try it."
       "Fine." But I still suck. I hate myself. bad me, horrible, no good, unlovable me. I arched my arm back once more, expecting the ball to fly out of my hand into the five point slot. Instead, I slowly released if, swinging my arm forwards. "Seventy-five points!" I won. I was a winner. This was amazingly awesome. Like panda bears eating ice cream cones with rainbow sprinkles and then having a tea party with a bunny, while Adele sings awesome. Like so awesome, it isn't even legen- wait for it, TV show reference you might not get that has a crappy ninth season, dary. Bam. Like ice cream dairy. Legendarily epic, so past normal and boring that it's a three thousand on a scale of one to six. Six point thirty two and ninety nine percent. Freaking uh-maze-in. G. Uh-maze-ing.
       We played a few more games, using up a good portion of our tickets. Parker and I tied in the end and spoiler alert, it was epic. Like fabulous wonderful exciting amazing awesome cool fantastic fabulously epic. Parker, though still gained more tickets. Weird; maybe because I scored around twenty each game and he scored closer to a thousand. Except for the last game, we both got five hundred fifty five. 555.
       "Look at that!" I pointed towards a glass display case with prizes you could win.
       "Cool, pirate ship."
        "Nope, no, nada! The spaceship! I need it."
        "It's three hundred tickets. How many do you have?"
        "Seventeen. And I've got thirty tokens left"
        "You could still maybe get it. Save up."
        "Parker, it's a plastic toy that costs fifty cents for some Asian factory worker to make. Why should I save my money?"
        "Uh...it's the right thing to do. Look, mom's buying pizza."
        "Fun! Food! We eat."I followed Parker over to a table. I sat down, grabbing a Styrofoam plate, with a piece of cardboard covered in grease, cheese, and old tomato's carelessly smashed onto the concoction. Parker likes to call it roller rink pizza. "Can I have money?" I asked, as I chewed.
        "No, honey. I gave you fifteen dollars."
        "But I want a prize. Fun it is. Yes, yes. Fun!"
        "I'm glad it's fun, but you have money."
        "Me want more money. Money, funny. Fun is bought with money, mummy."
        "Maverick, next time you receive money save it. Next time we come back you can buy whatever you want."
        "Ah. Money is fun. Amazingly awesome epic fun. We go play games, Parker?"
        "I'm going to skate."
        "Me play game."
        "Great?" we ate for a few more minutes, Mom and Parker chitchatting. It was all small talk nobody cared about, anyhow. Why shall I listen? I stood up, tossing away my leftovers after Mom and Parker had decided to go over to the rink. They gracefully slipped on skates, ready to roll. Pun intended. I crept over to the toy display, slowly, carelessly. Oh what's she doing? Being nonchalant. Nothing really. Having fun. That's what they would all say.
       I glanced around. Nobody was looking. Everyone assumed the stupid little girl wasn't intelligent.  Her? Steal? No. So sweet and gentle. So young. Her? Never. I felt my fingers creep over to the figurine. Slowly. Carefully. Everything was well a perfect technique. Everything. I felt my fingers grasp the small metal work of cheap art. Neon color and bright lights of the toy filled my senses. It was in my grasp. My hand placed it in my pocket, away from the human eye. No one could see it.
     I felt a pang of guilt. NO. I can steal. Idiots have to pay, but I'm smarter. Parker and Dad and Mom and everyone are stupid. Stealing is free. Money takes work and time. Stealing is no work.But, at the same time, it is more complex and worth it than any job you could ever have. The most forgiving thing is take something rightfully yours.
    I shut my eyes, taking a breath. It will be fine. No one saw. I went up to the counter to get skates. I slipped them on my feet and spun to the rink.
    "Hello!" I screamed at Parker.
    "Hey."
    "Wanna spin?'
    "How?"
    "I take your hands and-" I spun him around and around, until he was laughing foolishly, like a tiny girl. We raced and skated and spun and leaped until it was closing time.This was fun. FUN, fun, fun. I thought. I liked this game. Me taking things. I like it. I should play it more often.

Hello, peoples! You can download the roller ink HERE. It was NOT created by me, but by a Simmer from thesims3.com whose name I can not remember is mangoesandlimes. This generation will be ending soon, the poll will come after chapter 3.15! (Or 3.16, depending on how the plot goes in game). Sooo maybe start thinking about how you'll vote?

2 comments:

  1. I know which tv show you were talking about LOL. =) Wow, Maverick is a handful... she seems to have mood swings that are unexplainable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D Maverick defiantly is difficult and has mood swings to the point of almost being bipolar.

      Delete