Friday, December 6, 2013

5.0: Soot Stipper to Hose Handler

   I felt the ache in my muscles as I pushed myself. One more set. One-hundred and ten pounds. I had been working our for two hours after work at the department; so far my max weight was 110. That would change soon, though. I was working on becoming stronger and stronger everyday.
    The gym closed early tonight, due to some Autumn harvest fest parade thing that happened annually. I haven't felt the inclination to emerge myself in local country yet, so I was still clueless. I stopped lifting the weights and grabbed my gym bag. My bike rest outside, unchained. Appaloosa Plains was a small town that had everyone trusting one another. I still locked my door; I had grown up in the middle to lower class section of Bridgeport that occasionally would become a tad shady, after all. I hopped on my bike riding off to my home that was a mile or three outside of town.
   I had moved to Appaloosa Plains a little under month ago. Mom and Dad were a little hesitant to let me move across the country, from New York to eastern Washington state, though I eventually convinced them- I was a legal adult at twenty-two, after all. I joined the Verona County Fire Department as soon as I arrived in Appaloosa Plains. I was determined to start saving lives as soon as I could. Sadly, it didn't work that way. I have yet to do anything but be the maintenance man taking care of the truck's engine or cleaning everyone's supplies. We're a small group of people working- there's the chief and two firefighters and myself. We have a few volunteers in and out, but only four of us are receiving our steady paychecks from the county every week.
    Appaloosa Plains was similar to the South; it was the redneck area in Washington. The small town was filled to the brim with people who had had relatives living here for years and often never moved away themselves. With the mountains close by, it was a popular place for horse lovers to live. People loved riding through the mountains (I, myself, didn't find the appeal).
   The home I bought was a real steal. It was a two story place with a wide open floor plan on the second floor. Rumors where flying around about the previous owner. I didn't care for rumors, though. I ignored them, and most of the town. Wake up, fire department, gym, grocery store if needed, home. My life was becoming one of routine, and I didn't mind it.
   I unlocked my door, stepping inside. I was completely redecorating the place. New outside, new inside. The home was furnished when I bought it, but was incredibly tacky covered in cat decor. Even being a bachelor, I knew that I needed something different if I intended to impress anyone, specifically the female population, in this town.
   Relationships didn't worry me. I didn't want any children; my job required me to go into burning buildings, I couldn't risk leaving a child fatherless. I did, however, have nothing against marriage. Backseat car flings in high; a causally date here, one there. Nothing serious. I wasn't looking for commitment right now, I was looking for a date and if I happened to love her enough, I'd propose.
   I showered quickly and went off to bed. Early to bed Late to bed, early to rise makes one healthy, wealthy, and wise. That was my new philosophy. It wasn't long before the birds- yes,  that was my alarm clock sound, awakened me. I sighed, rolling out of bed. Oatmeal and tea, iced and unsweetened of course, and I was ready to roll. The weather was cool, as the smell of the forest seeped into my nostrils. It wasn't that long to bike. I could always hitch a ride home from a volunteer; they almost worshiped us, if I grew tired.
   "Hello." I greeted everyone once I arrived.
   "Trevor."
   "Yes?"
   "See me in my office." The boss was a cowboy hat wearing, cow herding, classic western fellow. He traveled to Texas every September through October and apparently loved it.
   "What's going on?" I followed him to his office.
   "You've been working here for a bit. Show up on time, loyal, you know. Everything y'all know."
   "Yes, sir."  I quickly added a sir to my statement, hoping it made me seem for official.
   "I'd like to promote you."
   "Really? Thank you!"
   "Same hours, higher pay."
   "Sounds great, sir."
   "Thank you, Mr. Janes."  Mr. Janes? When did this formality happen? I smiled at I walked out of the office. Life was great. New town, better job, better life.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh Trevor, haha. I liked all the boys, Blake was interesting cause of his career choice, but I liked Trevor too. He's so hot. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of the three, I think Trevor's the most attractive Sim...lol. Thanks for commenting! =)

      Delete