Friday, December 20, 2013

6.0: Bullied

  There's some suggestive stuff in here, maybe like PG-13 stuff? Anyway, read with caution.
 "Oh my gawd! Look at Kayleigh. Seriously, look at her. Did she switch bodies with a twin brother or something? Because she looks like a guy. And uh, loser alert. Does she think she's being sexy in that swimsuit? You know, she looks like a ten year old boy. Chubby, friendless, and flat as a board." Grace shouted insults at me, as I swam to the ladder on the side of the pool. Once a week in gym class, we would use the pool and swim laps or something. This gave the trifecta of bitchdom, the three most popular girls in our school who happen to get to shake their pompoms in mini skirt, making all the guys drool, also teased me. I hated them. For four years since high school began, I was their target. Thank goodness their was only two more months of high school left.
   "Oh my gawd! Did she stain her swimsuit? Is that red?" A minion of Grace's asked.
   "It totally is! Look, the ten year old boy's got his first period." I held back the tears. For one, my period ended last week. The cheer bitches were messing with me. Two, I started my period in fifth grade. I know for a fact that Grace's first one was during the freshman picnic.
    "Look," I felt the tears coming. I didn't have an insult to throw at them and I was about to bawl my eyes out. Perfect. I ran to the changing rooms, hurling my self into a stall. My backpack sat at my feet, with my dress sticking out of it.
     I hated this. I hated having to show up at school everyday and be teased for something I couldn't help. My boobs were tiny and I haven't had my first kiss. Great. Why did that make me the target of everyone's insults? I hated my life. My  parents didn't know and what would they do? Seriously. Tell our ancient guidance consular? I can't take this through... I needed. I know what I needed. I slipped my dress over my head, ready to open the stall door, when I heard voices.
    "Can you believe she actually cried?"  Grace and her minions. My life was about to get a hell of a lot worse. Grace was the ring leader in a pink cheer leading outfit she always wore and the other two? Nobody knew who they were, but if you messed with them you'd have trouble starting with a G and ending in a R-A-C-E.
    "Look, she's a baby. She got mommy and daddy and is such a stuck up bitch. She doesn't talk to anyone, like she's better than us. She hardly even looks at anyone."
    "Did you hear the news? That her sister was, like, with another mom? A drug addict.Yeah, the dad cheated or something. I know her family's messed up, but really? Like, if you're gonna to cheat at least get someone who's hot and not just a junkie and a gold digger." Dad never cheated! Connie was before he met my mom and...
    "I bet Kayleigh's on something."
    "What, diet pills? Her thighs touch. Clearly fatties need it." I wasn't fat. I was perfectly healthy, in fact I was on the lower side of the scale. Ten pounds from underweight. I couldn't eat during school, or I might have to sit in the cafeteria with them, so I skipped lunch and hung out in the library. If you're going to talk about someone's weight, know the damn facts. Know the truth. They obviously didn't. I refrained from letting out a sniffle; my tears were pouring dow
n now.
    "Look, girls. She needs to be taken down a peg."
    "Totally, Grace."
    "You're right, Grace."
    "Here's what we'll do. Invite her to a and invite all the popular guys. Guys, befriend her and then go shopping and get her to wear something super slutty. Like, she dresses like a nun know. Seriously, she could dress better." I was seventeen, turning eighteen in a month. One month until I'm an adult, two months until I graduate high school. I don't need to be showing off my chest and butt to every guy in school, unlike Grace. "At the party, spill something on her. Like, buy a white dress for her than spill beer or something. Make sure that she drinks something before though and is kinda hazy. And no underwear, go it? Convince her to. Have some guy, like, shout stuff at her and we'll convince her to streak. Take pics and distribute around the school." Those... I hated my life. This is what they did in their free times? Plan to embarrass me and hurt my reputation? They  didn't even have a good plan.
    "My boyfriend's here, let's go."
    "Ugh, you'll never let me live it down that I'm single and you're not."
    "Well, if you didn't wanna stay a virgin until marriage, I might get you a guy."
    "Please and be known as a slut? Ugh, not happening. Wait, does, you know, on my knees count?"
    "Uh, yeah! Oh my gawd, what happened!?" I heard shrieks.
    "Well,-" They exited the room, so I couldn't here the story.
    This is what my life was going to be for the next two months? I couldn't take it. I exited the stall, running to hail a cab. I knew where I was going. It would be ironic, wouldn't it? Me visiting a graveyard. I bet the cheerleaders could laugh later. After all, they do think my life is a joke. I stepped into the graveyard, an icy chill shot through my veins. This was a bad idea. But I couldn't live like this. I hated my life. It would be better if I just... I slowly walked to the pond.
   "Why?" A simple question. I had no answer. It might pain them, my parent, but all would be well. All would end well. I couldn't do this another minute. I took a deep breath. The moon shone bright, off the pond. It was a beautiful sight. Peaceful. I would hate to disturb it. I didn't want to go like this, the way of a coward. I had to, though. See, they hated me. If I were to go to that school, they would figuratively make me do it. Why not literally? It would be better... a rash choice, yeas. But better. I wouldn't be in the pain I was now.
    The pond was a nice place to end. I wonder if anyone else had the same thought? Thought it was ironic. It was. They shouldn't have a pond in a place like this. Not when the grief over ran you. I set my backpack against a fence side. No note. It wouldn't be anything I could describe in words. I love you. I could write that. But it might be too painful for my mother to read, over and over and over again. My father was strong. He would help her.
   I picked up the painkillers. Enough would knock me out.  I wouldn't feel the end, the water rushing around me. Filling my lungs until they popped. None of that. I didn't know how it ended. The water doesn't let you get oxygen? That was probably something. I didn't have time to study it. I tilt my head back, ready. WARNING: Do not take more than suggusted. Side effects include coma, brain... coma? That would be painless. How many should I take? The bottle was new. All of them would work. I closed my eyes, about to take the pills and jump into the lake, letting it pull me away. Wasn't noble. Wasn't how I was raised. But I need relief.
  "STOP!" The voice shattered my thoughts, as I spun around. The pill bottle flew out of my hand, landing in the pond.
   "What?!" Everything was moving in slow motion. HE ran up to me, yanking me back from the water's edge. I could feel the icy waves closing in around me... if he hadn't.... how dare he stop me.
   "Don't do this. It feels rough, but don't." The man's voice was deep... he sounded so... I took a deep breath. "Please." His eyes where begging me to not. But...
   "You don't know how it feels. No one would care."
   "I would. Just, please. Don't."
   "You don't know what it's like for me. You don't know me."
   "You're fifteen. You hate high school. You're the outcast. Just... people care."
   "I'm seventeen." I whispered. "Eighteen in a month."
   "See? You have something to live for. Please."
   "I don't know who you are."
   "Here." He took my arm. "Let's sit and talk. Don't do anything rash." We walked over to the bench, as I sat down next to him. "Why?" The question was simple enough. As I thought over my answer, though it felt childish. Like it wasn't good enough.
    "I'm a senior... I'm tied of being teased." I slowly went through the whole story, from day one of high school to now. It was painful. I cried and he comforted me. Who was he?
    "What's your name?"
    "Kayleigh." I gulped. "Kayleigh Janes."
    "Kayleigh, I'm Booker Singleton. I promise, you'll get through this."
    "Booker..." I liked the name; it was different. I looked into his eyes. They were dark and seemed to go on for forever... I was getting lost in them. I leaned against him, feeling his rock hard muscles through his thin shirt. He saved me. I took a deep breath. "I didn't think I would... it was like a trance. Telling me to. I had to. I thought..."
    "I won't tell you that everything's fine. I won't say there, there or pat you on the back. Kayleigh, people need you. You aren't worthless. Your parents, your sister, they wouldn't want to see you gone."He cared too much. He was the stranger who saved me. And he cared too much. Why me? Why save me?
    "Tell me something funny." I whispered in his ear. I felt weak. Like my body wasn't processing this. I sat up, looking at him. He was... like an angel. I didn't think that there was this thing, this afterlife, but he was an angel... my real life savior.
    "Funny?"
    "Please. Something to make me laugh."
    "Okay." he launched into a story. It was funny. He was... special. I felt odd. I don't remember feeling like this towards anyone else. I...
   "Wow." I giggled. He was hilarious.... I couldn't now. Not again. If I did get rid of myself, I would have wasted his time. His precious, handsome time. I was living because of him. For him.
    "It's getting late. You parents must be worried. Let me drive you home. Talk to them."
    "NO!" Booker was mine. He was my angel, my parents couldn't see him. "I'll take a cab."
    "They should be told."
    "I will...I will..." I won't. I wouldn't worry them. I wouldn't to it now, anyway. I tried and failed; it was a sign sent to me by my angel Booker. I didn't think he was a supernatural person, but he was the nicest person... it was almost magical, how nice he was.I stood up, ready to never see him again. I felt an odd feeling... something telling me that I wanted to see him, though. His personality was amazing... I could imagine my lips falling onto his, our... I took a breath. What was this? This sense of wanting for him.
    "Wait. Please, Kayleigh." He called out, as I began to walk away. "Do something for me. Tomorrow night, meet me at the festival. We can talk... I want to make sure you're okay."
    "Thank you. Wh-what time?"
    "Four pm, I mean just for a bit. Your parents should come maybe, I mean ask them at least. I'm a thirty-five year old man and I don't want a misunderstanding to happen. I just... my brother. I'm here visiting him." I understood. He lost someone he loved to the something my parents were about to lose me to. Thirty-five. So mature, so handsome...
     "I'll be there." And I would be. He needed to know I was okay; to know the world wouldn't lose someone again, because someone thought their life wasn't worth it. I had to live for him. I couldn't cause him anymore pain. My angel.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Booker came just in time! LOL the cheerleaders, did they know Kayleigh was in the bathroom at the time when they described their entire plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booker was defiantly Kayleigh's miracle. The cheerleaders did not realize Kayleigh was in the bathroom, they assumed she left.

      Delete