Tuesday, December 10, 2013

5.6 Part Two: Almost Lost You

   We where celebrating our four year anniversary today. Alani and I where over the moon that we'd been married for four years and together for eleven. I decided to celebrate by whisking her off to Egypt for a week. Bridgeport was snowy and cold, while the Egyptian sun let us bask in its heat.
   "This is so romantic!" Alani squeled. "I  love it!"
   "It's just a tent." I chuckled. She was so happy and excited all the time; it's what I love about her.
   "Come on, let's take a picture." She pulled out her phone as I leaned in for a kiss. "Perfect!" She glanced at the photo.
   "Let's go to the Great Pyramid." I said, excitedly. If she thought this was great, just wait.
   "Okay, sound great."
    We biked to the tombs quickly. A tour guide offered to show us around, but we preferred to do things on our own. It was more adventurous that way. I looked over the wall, feeling for the cracks. I found them and pushed the door open. The nights spent working at the gym had paid off.
    "It's kinda creepy in here." Alani said.
    "It isn't that bad I m-AHHH!" I screamed.
    "You're screaming like a little g-OHMYGAWD. Bugs!" Bugs where crawling all over my hand; I hadn't noticed when we opened the tomb door, but they must have crawled onto my skin. I quickly brushed them off, embarrassed that I had let out such a shrill noise.
    We pulled the statues onto the hidden spot, as a secret door flew open. We carefully stepped into a vast room, filled with treasure. Alani glanced at me, as I glanced at her. This had to be booby trapped somehow, someway, right? Old mummy movies had been a large part of my research done preparing for this trip.  We tiptoed to the other side, hoping nothing would trigger.
     "We need a keystone. Look at the door."
     "Oh, no." I sighed. We tiptoed back through the palace, to the statue room.

Alani's POV...

     I spotted a hidden door in the corner and dashed to it.Trevor followed me. It led us into a room with a flaming floor; on the other side of the crimson blaze their was a star shaped keystone. The one we needed so desperately.
     "Don't go through the flames." Trevor gripped me elbow, pulling me away.
     "Trevor, I'll be fine. it probably isn't even real fire."
     "Who uses fake fire? Alani, it's dangerous."
     "Don't worry, I'll be fine."
     "Please don't."
     "Look! I'm an adult. I can make me own choices. Stop."
    "I-" I pulled away, taking a step forwards. There was a thin pathway around the flames. Unfortunately, I wasn't coordinated enough to stay on the path. The fire caught on my shirt, as I screamed. It was defiantly real fire.
    "Trevor!" He stood there in shock, a tear coming to his eye. I made my husband cry. That's a new one. I felt the flames scorching my skin, as his hands pulled me away. He doused my with water from our canteens, smothering the flames out with a bandana.
    "We're going."
    "Yeah." I faintly said. My skin was burnt; I could feel the pain.
    "Alani." He said, hurt. He had warned me and I didn't listen. Now I was scarred. He picked me up, ignoring my argues that I could walk. I caused him enough stress and pain. My clothes where nearly burnt off; I was left in singed scraps of fabric.  I hugged him, glad that he was there. I couldn't dare think of what would happen if he hadn't been there during my reckless jaunt into the flames.
   "I'm sorry." I whimpered.
   "Let' get you to a medical center."
   "I didn't mean to. Really. I didn't know." He was angry. I hated seeing him upset and knowing that I had caused the misery approaching us. Damn.

Six days later...

    "We leave tomorrow."  I said, stepping out of the tent. He was sitting at a picnic table, shirtless. He looked so sexy with the moonlight and the stars and wilderness. I wanted to take him into the tent and oh... let him just do all types of things. "I'm sorry." He hadn't talked to me really since the pyramid the first night we arrived.
     "It's fine. I can't stand the not talking anymore."
     "Look," I walked over to him. I planted a kiss on his lips. "I wouldn't do anything like that if I thought I'd hurt you."
     "I just... Alani."
     "Watch the star with me. We can talk."
     "Okay." He sat on the ground with me. "We've both seen people's lives ruined because of the flames. I came to close to losing you today. If I did, I don't know what I would have done. I might have thrown myself into the flames after you so at least I could of held you one last time..."
     "Trevor." I felt myself becoming weepy. "That isn't gong to happen."
     "How do you know? How? Alani, nobody thought it would. Not a single person we saved was like, 'Hey I knew about this. Totally knew it was gonna happen' Nobody."
     "Can we have a baby?" I bite my lips as soon as the words left my lips. It was out of the blue and completely unrelated to the topic.
     "Are you pregnant?" He smiled a little and glanced towards my stomach.
     "No...but I'm thirty-six. And I want a family."
     "Not yet... sometime. I just don't want to risk anything." His gaze softened. "I would love to have a family with you. There's nobody I rather would.. but not yet. I'm not ready."
     "But I am! Besides, you'll have nine months to be ready. I just...if I wait to long, eventually I won't get to have one." I wanted a family. I had never brought it up, but now... it just felt like we should. Like we where ready. I set myself on fire. That was accidentally. It was behind us. I just... I sighed. I saw Trevor nervous. He was adorable when he was nervous.
    "We can have a baby."
    "You don't want one."
    "I'd love him or her, though. I want you to be happy. If a baby makes you happy, we can have a baby."
    "No. No... just. I'm going to sleep." I stood up, brushing off the sand. Any thoughts of a romantic night where off. Trevor just wanted to protect his family... the family I wanted to grow. What would it take to make him ready?
     
    

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So am I. :) She took a risk and it freaked Trevor out, though... he has a secret fear that he'll lose someone he loves in a fire. I created this whole back story in my head on how he saw someone's husband/wife die in a fire and now he's emotionally scarred...

      Delete